1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Questions about Panasonic 12-35

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by rklepper, Jan 4, 2013.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I am really considering this lens, but have a couple of questions. I can't find anywhere whether the front element rotates when zooming. also, how does it really compare to the Olympus 12-50 other than the obvious f/2.8 and the focal length?

2. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    The front element does not rotate when zooming. It's a very different lens than the 12-50. It feels heavier on the camera but with good ergonomics on the E-M5. And of course, the image quality is great as you can read in various reviews. I also like the fact that it seems to do better for video at the 35mm end in terms of focusing - maybe the wider aperture... On the other hand, I sometimes miss the extra reach the 12-50 offers. The 12-50 also has the upper hand for macro. All in all, I still kept the 12-50 when I bought the 12-35 though I use it much less.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Thanks. I do a lot of filter work and it is important that the front element does not rotate. I really like the oly 12-50, but think the biggest downfall is the f stop.

4. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    The reviews I've read characterized the image quality as "adequate". Naturally, I can't remember which reviews said that and I might possibly be insane. ;-) I guess I've been missing out, because my 12-50 is better than "adequate".

5. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    The OP's question was about the 12-35 which I feel has outstanding IQ.

The 12-50 has much more than adequate IQ in my opinion as well. It is very sharp even without stopping it down. It does suffer from CA more so than other lenses in its class.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Keep in mind those "adequate" reviews are comparing against lenses that are larger, heavier, more expensive, and have magic red stripes that automatically make reviewers poo their pants at every image.

IMHO, the 12-35/2.8 is far better than "adequate". It is well worth it's considerable price.

7. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Yes, I love the 12-50 and will not be giving it up anytime soon. I just think a faster f stop might be helpful.

Thanks for the input.

8. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    That was very funny [and probably 'right-on'].

For what it's worth, I'm a fan of the 12-35 f/2.8, it has replaced my fancy red stripe lens as my everyday, all-around tool.

Cheers :smile:

9. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Don't get me wrong. I still have plenty of Canon equipment and will continue to have. I just am getting too old to carry it. :(. The EM-5 is perfect for me to carry in my Billingham 107, with plenty of room left over. I am just hoping to get more out of it with the panasonic lens.

10. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    The 12-35 is an excellent lens, excellent IQ and build quality. The images it produces (as with the 35-100) have superb clarity.

Paul

11. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I still have plenty of Canon gear too, but might not [hope not] in the future. I'm not yet too old to carry the Canons around...but don't like or want to haul it around. The Panasonic 12-35 & 35-100 are making the transition possible.

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'm afraid you've got your self-diagnosis correct. :eek: :wink: :biggrin:

13. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    The 12-35 and 35-100 made me make the transition.

I just don't print big enough where the size of the sensor is a dominant factor. The pro-Panny lenses are sharp enough (in fact, they are sharper than L lenses by almost the crop factor which makes them equivalent). The only thing I'm looking forward to is the GH3 sensor (or better) in a G series camera.... and a 100-300 should I ever start to do longer length photography.

14. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    We are on the same page and line...

I like my GX1s, they will do for now until I either add a GH3 or Panasonic puts that sensor in a smaller G camera. And, the 100-300 is the only lens I can see needing/wanting to complete my current m4/3 lens system.

15. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    No doubt!

IMHO the 12-50 is also better than "adequate" (I sold my Pany 14-45 after I got the 12-50, and that's a pretty sharp lens), so the 12-35 would have to be mind-blowing to get my $1K.

I'm hearing lots of owners being satisfied with their purchase, which is great. Are there any comparison reviews out there? Especially ones with details of shots at infinity? I could rent one and do the comparison myself, but we all know how people treat rental equipment, so any comparison would be suspect.

16. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I'm afraid, too! :rofl:

17. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    See the review from lensrental:
    LensRentals.com - A Weekend with the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8

He compared to the older Canon 24-70mm lens by photo samples. There is also numerical comparison to other m43 lenses including the panasonic and olympus kit lenses. His conclusion:

Now the lens price came down a bit so if you need f/2.8, it is a good buy. It replaced my 5D+Sigma 24-60mm lens which I used on my travels. He also have a review of new Canon 24-70mm zooms:
    LensRentals.com - Canon 24-70 f/4 IS Resolution Tests

18. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    This is the best wide-normal zoom lens in the format period. Outstanding iq (equally and sometimes better than primes), weathersealed, small, nice weight that balance with camera and posture when shooting, no moving elements, amazing smooth focus and zoom rings, is probably the only focu-by-wire lens that it feels close to a real manual focus lens when manually focusing, i can keep going and going about this lens, it is my main travel zoom lens in my bag.

Again this is my PERSONAL experience.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 00r101

00r101 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2012
    I'd rather have the Panny 14 2.5 and the Oly 45 1.8 and Panny 20 1.7 and pocket $150 than the Panny 12-35. Better or equal IQ. Lighter on the camera. Better or equal for low light. Of course I like changing lenses :)

20. kuau

kuau Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    I just started shooting a OM-D and I started with the Oly 17/1.8, Panasonic 25/1.4 and the Oly 45/1.8

I did some Landscape infinity focus testing today, and the only lens that was sharp across the whole frame shot at F5.6 on a tripod, 2 second delay was the Oly 45.

The Oly 17 and Panasonic 25 where only sharp 2/3 of the frame.

I know the Pany 25/1.4 is a great lens but at infinity not very good, same goes for the Oly 17.

So my question is the Pany 12-35/2.8 good at infinity?

Thanks

Steven