1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Questions about GM1 (and maybe Panasonic cameras in general)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Yohan Pamudji, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Just got my GM1 the other day. Fun camera, super excited so far. Only big complaint is ergonomics, but I knew that going in and hopefully a Franiec grip will help.

Anyway, this is my first Panasonic camera so I have a couple questions about image review with the GM1 that might apply to other Panasonics as well.

1. When reviewing an image is there a way to zoom into the AF point instead of the center of the image?

2. Can the camera flip the review image based on orientation of the camera at the time? If I take a portrait-oriented photo I want to be able to flip the camera to portrait orientation and have the review image fill the screen.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

2. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    1. Nope
    2. Nope

• Like Like x 1
  3. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Here is what I do with my GM1:

1: I turn the rear dial clockwise, of course the image enlarges in the center, but watch the screen as soon as you do this as a small green square with a smaller yellow square appears briefly for a couple of seconds in the top righthand corner to show you how much of the image is now showing on the rear screen. You can continue to turn clockwise till the image is x16 of the screen size. Each time you turn the dial, that green will appear briefly with the yellow square getting smaller and smaller as you increase magnification still center of the screen.
    You will also notice on the screen four small yellow arrow heads in the top, bottom, left and right positions. These show you which way you can move the AF point. to move the AF point, press down on the rear dial in the position you wish to move and the AF point will move in that direction, also the green square will appear with the yell square moving to show where abouts in the picture you are viewing. If for example you go to your far right until you get to the edge of your picture, the righthand yellow arrow head will disappear showing that you cannot move in that direction anymore.

2. I'm not sure how to automatically to get the image to rotate, but there is a manual way of doing it. select the image you want to rotate, press ok to get into the menu, select playback menu, go through the menu until you get to page 3 and select rotate. It will give you a choice of two directions which you want to rotate that image. both directions rotate at 90 degrees and will fill the screen if you have taken a portrait shot. It only rotate the image that you have viewing at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    There is an easier way of zooming in to review your picture if your touch screen is on. Select the image you want to view and you can zoom in using your fingers the same way as you are zooming in on a picture on your smart phone, to see the part you want to look at, just place your finger on the screen and move it about.
    The green and yellow squares and the yellow arrow heads appear as they do if you're doing it manually.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Thanks y'all. So basically 'no' to both but there are workarounds. Gotcha.