1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Questions about built-in EVF....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Minniesmum, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Since my first Oly the E-PL1 I've used the VF-2 detachable viewfinder. No problems and continuing to use it on the E-P5. However whilst travelling am getting increasingly annoyed with the bulk and with the viewfinder coming off the camera. Am considering another body with a built-in EVF. Tried the EM-10 MK11 at PC World and nice camera but unsure about the quality of view. I do a lot of manual focusing with vintage lenses. Looking for some advice on a body that has a good EVF-doesn't need to be current. The EM-5 is a possibility.....

2. The E-M5 eye level viewfinder has the same resolution as the VF-2, and the E-M10 does also. Not sure about the MkII.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You'll need to go to the E-M1, Pen F or E-M5ii to get a step up in EVF resolution.

4. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Thanks Nic :) the EM-5 is looking like a likely candidate .

5. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I am very happy with the resolution of the VF-2. I just wanted a built in one which is as good.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Actually E-M10ii had the higher res viewfinder too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Everything from the E-M5 mkI forward have the same or better Approx. 1,440,000 dots and Field of view: 100%. It's magnification that's different. 2016_10_15_15_36_05_Side_by_Side_Comparison_Digital_Photography_Review.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK

9. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Thanks those who have replied. I'd almost forgotten about the shutter speed . The EM-5 MK11 shares the EP-5 1/8000 shutter speed. I use it a lot for shooting wide open in bright light with fast mf lenses. I guess that will be my next upgrade. Better start saving !

10. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    It can also extend to 1/16000 when using the electronic shutter....

• Like Like x 1
  11. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Never had the VF2, but I find my E-M5's EVF to be much better than the VF3 that I had on my E-P3. I don't use the EVF all that often, but it's nice that if I need to improve it's appearance somewhat I can enable the higher frame rate on the EVF (which cost additional battery usage).

Based on what David posted above, seems like just about anything you get right now is going to be as good or better.

• Like Like x 1
  12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Nobody's mentioned focus peaking. If you're doing "a lot of manual focusing" I think looking for good focus peaking is where you should start. I don't know the Olympus line but both my Pannys, GX7 and GX8 have excellent focus peaking and it's a very worthwhile feature.

13. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Yea, it's not available on any of the olympus cameras I know of except maybe the E-M1. There's the keyline hack, but I find myself focusing much faster just by tapping the screen where I want, zoom, focus, and snap.

14. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    My E-P5 has focus peaking. I prefer to use the magnify of the EVF.

15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Hmmm... I didn't realize it wasn't more common. @Minniesmum@Minniesmum, I'd strongly suggest that you try a GX7 or GX8 so you know what this is about. A quick search found this: which gives you an idea of how it works. Nothing beats hands-on however. There are probably better videos out there too.

I am not a manual-focus lens guy, but I find manual focusing and peaking to be critical when shooting animals in the wild. It seems like the autofocus always falls in love with a twig or a sprig of grass that's between me and the animal.

16. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Doesn't look quite the same as what I seen in the Panasonic GH4's implementation of it.

I tend to use adapted lens, but even on some of my AF lens I find that I can more quickly adjust focus to a specific subject as it moves manually focusing in terms of distance from me. Particularly in video.

When I do use autofocus, it's usually set to one of the very tiny AF points.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I've tried the Panasonic bodies and not keen on the build or menus. And I don't use focus peaking much tho it's nice to have on the E-P5. I also implemented the art filter hack on my E-PM2 just to see what it was like and not bad :)

18. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Sticking with Olympus thanks and focus peaking isn't my preferred method but thanks for the advice.

19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I love my VF-2 and am very familiar with the resolution/quality and bulk, and lack of locking button.
    Even the cheapest built-in (E-M10) seems to have equal res' to the VF-2, so choose any of them and enjoy.
    Some (E-M1, etc) have a higher resolution and deeper colour but it is different, not necessarily better for actual focusing, depending on your own eyes.

The bulk doesn't ever bother me so I use VF-2 and VF-4 with my Pen bodies and take the VF off sometimes for putting the camera in my pocket.
    The choice is great nowadays, and the newer OMD models are dropping in price.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    thanks ! I'm very happy with the VF-2's functionality and an option would be to remove it, however after 5 or 6 hours of removing and replacing or leaving it on and losing it, I get a bit fed up ;) and yes the OMD bodies are dropping in price :)