1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Questions about action shooting, frame rate and firmware...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by byron2112, Jun 13, 2011.

1. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    Thinking about the G3 and wondering about the speed of the camera... I do understand that AF speed and accuracy play a role in shooting action, and that the Micro 4/3 system doesn't presently offer a quick native zoom, but please indulge a couple of basic questions from a photography newbie...

I understand the G3 performs at 4 frames per second, and without looking it up, I assume that's the fastest full resolution rate yet achieved for the Micro 4/3 system?... is that acceptable speed for sports and kids?... is there a standard minimum frames-per-second rate that people look for when doing that type of photography(not talking professionally)?

Also wondering if it's possible to raise FPS rate through firmware updates in the future, or is that an impossible upgrade?

Thanks for the help.

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have never personally shot a G3, but it is my understanding that the electronic viewfinder does not refresh quickly enough to visually follow the action while shooting.

I have a lifetime of experience shooting sports from 6FPS motor driven film camera to 10 FPS dSLRs.

6 FPS and faster one releases the shutter prior to the peak of action and successfully capture the entire sequence.

3 FPS and slower one has to wait and release the shutter at the peak of action ... At 3 FPS and follow-focus there is a very good chance you'll miss the peak of action ... the best image. Timing is everything.

4 & 5 FPS are right on the cusp between follow-focus (6+ FPS) and peak of action (3- FPS). 4 FPS with follow focusing shooting, you'll hit more than you miss. With attention to timing 4 FPS, while not ideal, ... would still be acceptable for sports, just gotta work harder than at 6+ FPS.

One can shoot sports with a manual advance, single frame camera ... but you'll have to work much much harder to attain similar level of images that can be taken with a high FPS camera (and you'll miss a lot).
    G

• Like Like x 1
  3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    The GH2 claims 5 frames/sec with full resultion, 4.5 frames/sec if shooting raw.

At 3 frames/sec (medium speed) and 2 frames/sec (low speed) you do get Live View while recording.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you can handle the resolution, video is 30 fps ...

Doesn't the GH2 have a super high speed burst mode (at 4MP resolution)?

As Gary points out, it all depends on your expectations of the shots. Are you documenting the experience, and you don't have to have that exact split second of peak action? Then you can live with lower.

I will say 3 fps seems pretty damn fast, both to me and the people around.

5. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    Thanks fellas... that's very helpful.

Now that you mention it Gary, I recall reading about the Sony SLT cameras and their EFV having trouble keeping up with the burst rate offered on those models... I guess it's an issue waiting on technology to catch up...

So... anyone know if FPS rate is upgradable through firmware updates?

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    While 3 FPS may seem fast to you and the people around you ... it is not fast to a striker making a shot on goal, or a tailback breaking an open field tackle, or a reverse layup, a double play ... et cetera.

G

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I've never seen this stated so well or so succinctly.

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Agreed, just pointing out that a true 3 fps is a lot faster than I thought it would be coming from the compact world.