Questioning my LX100

Dayam

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
I would assume you may have a defective unit. Considering you've done all the focusing tests that have been suggested.

Looking at the pictures from the LX100 thread (https://www.mu-43.com/threads/70418/), they seem quite sharp compared to the pictures you've posted.

I'd suggest to have it exchanged if under warranty.

Halaking

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Morris
Lx100 crop the M43 sensor to 12.5 mp, all the pictures I see are shot in over cast day and focused at the tree leaves, even full frame is difficult to get a good sharp shot at this situation.

You need much higher MP to see sharp shot when you enlarge it.

Desert_B

Mu-43 Regular
Can't return it since it's been too long. Will have to send it to Panasonic, which I don't mind except that my trip is coming up.

Could another LX100 user take similar shots and see how they turn out?

My unit does fine (acceptable) under *other* circumstances -- like when the subject is nearer to the camera (really close, or mid-distance). RAW to LR, SOOC.

34 mm, ISO 1000, f 4.0, 1/500sec
P1010639.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Desert_B

Mu-43 Regular
Lx100 crop the M43 sensor to 12.5 mp, all the pictures I see are shot in over cast day and focused at the tree leaves, even full frame is difficult to get a good sharp shot at this situation.

You need much higher MP to see sharp shot when you enlarge it.

FWIW, the first few pics are from a sunny day, either mid-day or a a few hours before golden hour.
But, I appreciate very much your perspective here.

Desert_B

Mu-43 Regular
Close to 100% crop. RAW, no PP. This kind of image has been quite satisfactory, especially after PP.
P1010639-2.jpg

cputeq

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jeremy
If you have any sort of filter on the camera, remove it and test.
It could just be, though, that the camera's not very sharp when shooting high-detail, distant subjects.

Desert_B

Mu-43 Regular
If you have any sort of filter on the camera, remove it and test.
It could just be, though, that the camera's not very sharp when shooting high-detail, distant subjects.
No filter.
I do think you may be on to something here. When I see people's pics from the LX100, the pics are not of the genre I've been struggling with here.

Desert_B

Mu-43 Regular
More testing.

Manual focus, handheld, ISO 200, 17mm, f5.0, 1/500sec
manual focus.jpg

iA mode (tried to get focus points to cooperate), ISO 200, 24mm, f5.6, 1/500sec
manual focus.jpg

Desert_B

Mu-43 Regular
Autofocus, ISO 200, 24 mm, f5.0, 1/500 sec. SOOC.
autofocusreally.jpg

Desert_B

Mu-43 Regular
I'm feeling a bit better today about how my LX100 is performing, though I cant fully explain some of the truly crummy results I've gotten in the past. Will keep testing and possibly send the camera to Panasonic if I get more unexplained crummy results. Meanwhile, I have an EM10 on the way and may take that or my G5 on my upcoming trip.

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
To test sharpness, the camera needs to be mounted on a tripod, and some sort of resolution target needs to be used. There are lots of places to download the USAF target. Hand held shots of stuff is so random with a near infinite number of variable so as to be virtually pointless.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
To test sharpness, the camera needs to be mounted on a tripod, and some sort of resolution target needs to be used. There are lots of places to download the USAF target. Hand held shots of stuff is so random with a near infinite number of variable so as to be virtually pointless.

If I had to do that to decide if my camera/lens was sharp, I'd give up photography. Low ISO, good light, medium aperture, easy AF target, and you will have sharp pictures if the camera is capable of them.

Halaking

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Morris
Since you have other M43 cameras, can you try to shoot M43 + prime VS LX100 at the same scene and using the same setting?

Desert_B

Mu-43 Regular
Since you have other M43 cameras, can you try to shoot M43 + prime VS LX100 at the same scene and using the same setting?
Yesterday I did some quick & dirty comparison shots between the LX100 and an EPL3 + kit lens. (I had read somewhere that it's more fair to compare the LX100 to a zoom of some type rather than a prime.) I left one kid at an appointment and one kid in the waiting room while I ran across the road to a green area, to do my test shots. Parent of the year, I am.

Still need to examine the results of those shots. While not a perfect test by any means, it does give me *some* perspective. I do spend a fair amount of time pixel peeping images from my Canon 6D+decent glass, so it's easy to lose perspective on what my expectations should be.

Halaking

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Morris
I"m sorry to see this, I really want to get the LX100 as do it all small package camera when it came out, but I have both Olympus and Panasonic cameras, since I have GX7 with some M43 lenses, so I didn't jump in for G.A.S..

There are many LX100 owners in our forum, I wish they give more comments about it.

Theo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Theo K.
The biggest selling point of LX100 is the bright integrated zoom lens in a compact package. We can't expect it to beat an ILC with a similar bright lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom