1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Questioning my LX100

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Desert_B, May 5, 2015.

1. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    My LX100 does well in certain scenarios, like when my kid is right in front of me and I want a portrait-ish shot of him, but in other scenarios, I am seriously questioning this camera.
    Here is one example of a photo where I can't find anything that is particularly sharp. True, I didn't take a lot of care in photographing this scene "just so," but I still expect better results than this.
    ISO 200 / 31.5mm, f4.0/ 1/2000
    P1140525.

2. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    ISO 200, 34 mm, f4.0, 1/800 sec. RAW.
    No adjustments in LR. P1140526.

3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    With a 1300x976 image, it's hard to find anything that's particularly unsharp about those. I'm guessing that you're unhappy when you look at them at 100%?

I'm a bit confused about what you're even hoping to get. If you want more drama out of your RAW files, you'll probably need to tweak them a bit. Maybe a little extra sharpening is what you want?

4. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Apologies for the low-res image. I'm not used to posting images on forums. Here's a different photo where nothing seems to be very sharp when viewed at 100% -- foreground, middle, distance. P1140665.

5. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    This would be close to a 100% crop for the area of the image I would imagine was selected by autofocus. ISO 200, f 2.8, 1/10000 (would have stopped down if I had been paying more attention, but I don't think DOF is an issue here). Obviously I need to do some more careful testing, but this is an example of what's causing me to question my camera. P1140518.

6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Only you can tell for sure, but it looks to me like the focus is on the very front blades of grass in the image. If that's not where the focus was intended, it looks like your camera might be having issues there...

As for the crop from the other image, I don't know what to tell you. If that is in fact the focus point, I agree that it's not great. That said, it's a 12MP camera pocket-sized camera with a 2.2x crop and a fast lens. It may just not be the tool for examining distant details at 100%.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't have anything too helpful to add. But I was really gung-ho on buying the LX100 at launch and then as the samples trickled out my excitement cooled rapidly. I don't think I've seen a particularly sharp photo from the LX100, period.

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Desert_B, I'd recommend taking some similar shots with AF and then by MF as well. That will at least help you to understand if focus is off or if the camera is just not delivering adequate sharpness.

10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Probably, there is a good reason why 12-35/2.8 lens costs more than whole camera..

• Like Like x 1
  11. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't think the LX100 is the right tool for a sharpness junkie who wants to see every pore and count eyelashes, but it certainly delivers sharper photos than the OP is posting here. Browse some shots on Flickr to see: https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=lx100

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tkbslc

Perhaps I am being too critical. I had hoped it might be a system replacement and I just can't see it replacing a ILC with quality lenses.

I think that is good advice. Also don't listen to closely to people like me that have never owned the camera.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  13. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    And then I get shots like these, which make me very happy with this camera. Not as eyelash-countable as my primes on a G5, but very serviceable and satisfying nonetheless. P1140755. P1140807.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Tried to do some more testing today. This is approximately 100% crop SOOC (Raw into LR, export as JPEG). ISO 200, 30mm, f4.0, 1/1000 sec. Single focus point on the green part of tree (light green leafy tree). P1140828.

15. tkbslc

Did you try manually focusing as suggested above? That's looking pretty bad.

16. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    I did some more shooting with manual focus this afternoon. One problem is I was in a hurry and couldn't keep track of which photos were manual. In any case, I had more acceptable results than I had this morning. Focus was on flowering trees.
    ISO 200, 28.2mm, f5.0, 1/640 sec, 100% crop
    P1140841.

17. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The last picture you posted is at f5.0, the earlier ones are at f2.8 - 4.0 and are longish shots. Try f6.0 - 8.0+ when shooting in daylight and see what happens to the sharpness.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Thank you, dornblaser. I will give that a try.

I am getting pretty down in the dumps about this camera. If it does really poorly with trees/foliage in broad daylight, that's a bummer for me. I had purchased the LX100 to use as a travel camera for an upcoming trip to the UK (instead of using a m4/3 plus a few lenses). Now, I'm leaning heavily toward the m4/3 option because if there is something to resolve with my LX100, I don't know if I can get it done in time.

19. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd also take some shots in iA mode and just look at JPEGs as a comparison to what you are doing now.

But at the end of the day, if you are not happy with the camera I can't see struggling too hard to make it work. Unless you can't return it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. darrellc

darrellc Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I recall a number of users having AF focus issues early on. My local camera shop sent some back to Panasonic for this reason. Perhaps you have one such defective unit? I'd send it in to Panasonic assuming it is under warranty.

• Like Like x 1