1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by photoheron, Jun 25, 2013.

1. photoheron

photoheron Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    For those that are using the E PL5, do you find not having a viewfinder more difficult to take pictures?
    Why did you chose the E PL5 over another brand? Are you enjoying using your camera? Opinion on image quality?

I ask these question because I know very little about the 4/3 cameras.

2. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I bought the E-PL5 as a sort of backup/take along with me on my everyday travels and commute companion to my OM-D EM5.
    Of the two cameras, I definitely favor the OM-D.

• I prefer the EM5 for the superior build quality and feel. EPL5 feels a bit tinny and plasticy in comparison. It's not cheap feeling by any means, it's just that the EM5 feels much higher quality in hand
    • Handling with any size mu43 lens - the EPL5 feels a bit "off" to me with lenses like the heavier Panasonic Leica 25 or the longer Olympus kit tele 40-150
    • Integrated viewfinder-on the EM-5 with its integrated VF I can still use the hotshoe for flash applications.
    • Better ergonomics. The ability to add the optional HLD-6 grip is a nice option. I usually shoot in A-S-M, so I prefer the extra dial(s) on the EM-5. The E-PL5 has a rear control wheel that can be fiddly to quickly adjust aperture, shutter and EV. If you have really big hands this might be an issue.

Having said all that, though, I do still rather enjoy using my E-PL5...

• I was fine without a viewfinder UNTIL I tried the VF-2 and haven't taken it off since.
    • Even with the VF-2 mounted the E-PL5 seems smaller and lighter to me than the OM-D. This has it's place sometimes-it's an especially nice walkaround camera with the smaller primes Pan 14, Pan 20 and Oly 45.
    • SAME great image quality as OM-D!
    • This is going to sound really silly but, EPL5 has a fantastic sounding and satisfying shutter click! :redface: :16suspect1: When I was playing around with it in the store, that was kinda what sold me on looking into getting a second body.

Oh and I chose to go with Olympus because I started with an XZ-1 and I liked using that camera - the controls, quirky menus, camera handling just 'clicked' with me for some odd reason.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you think it is easier to take photos with a viewfinder then you would buy a viewfinder. I have one for all my Pen cameras, so I guess I would fall into that category. If you don't think it's necessary then you won't buy one.

If anybody was having difficulty with a lack of viewfinder then they would or should have done something about it and purchased a viewfinder, right? The option is there for everyone.

4. photoheron

photoheron Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    Thanks I was not aware that an optional viewfinder.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Ah. :) In that case, look up the Olympus VF-2, VF-3, and VF-4. They all work with the camera. The VF-4 is the newest and best, and of course the most expensive as well as the largest. The VF-3 is the cheapest and the slimmest though of slightly lesser quality than the VF-2, which is the oldest but still has fantastic quality.

Leica also has an EVF which is compatible, but it is identical to the VF-2 except for the word LEICA boldly printed across its face... which makes it significantly more expensive. lol.

6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Suggestion to the OP for next time...don't just put "Question" for a subject...be more detailed like, "E-PL5 users, is it hard not having a viewfinder?"

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't own an E-PL5{I have an E-PL1 and a 2}, however I have 2 VF-2 viewfinders for them. The add-on viewfinder is a great idea!

For one thing they tilt! This is useful if you have the camera low, like taking a shot of a bug on the ground. It is also handy for candids! You simply look down to compose like an old waist-finder type camera. People do not realize that you are taking picks.

Another thing is that you can choose the level of viewfinder that works best for you. Currently, Olympus has 3 levels to pick from.

Lastly they come off for storage or whenever you don't need them. I personally use my viewfinders 99% of the time. In fact about the only time I don't is inside mounted on a tripod, then the rear screen works better.

As to why I went with Olympus over Panasonic - #1 price{older models are made cheaper faster from Olympus}, #2 better Jpeg handling, #3 image stabilizer built into the camera, not the lens{usable on ALL lenses not just certain ones}.