1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Question to you videomakers about setting up a GH3 for video use

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Ramirez, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I am asking you video makers here how are during or have used Panasonic DMC-GH3 for video recording.
    Lobbamobba and other great film makers here. Lobbamobba, jag gillar starkt dina videor på Youtube! - in English: Lobbamobba, I like your Youtube-videos!

I have mostly been a stills shooter but as hybrid (both photo -and videoside is becoming more important to me), I need to learn how to use the GH3 that I just ordered for video use. I am still waiting for the GH3 but I'm told that the camera store where I ordered it from will send it to me next week.

I will not go really advanced in the beginning; I'll just start out with an external mic as the only accessory in the beginning. I'll later start to thing about rigs and stuff. I will use the GH3 tripod mounted when filming as I don't have any stabilized lenses.

You who have recorded video with the GH3:

- What codecs are you using? I'm in a PAL country and I will use my Mac Mini as video editing machine.
    Mov then?
    - Framerates etc?
    - In which situations are you using 24p and 25p and 50 etc?
    - Manual mode when filming or just A?
    - What are your settings in manual mode (aperture and shutter) when filming for 24p, 25p and 50?
    - Are there any possibilities that the camera continue to record after it hits the 29 minute (something) time limit that we have in cameras in PAL areas?

Any more that I need to be aware of?

I have recorded video occasionally with my Fuji cameras and my E-M5. I ordered the GH3 because I want to go a little deeper with the video side. The manual controls in video on the GH3 will be great to have!

I hope that I'll get some suggestions and tips here as I written in the "Panasonic sub forum" here but I haven't got much answers yet. Surely there must be a few video makers around here that have some tips to share?

Thanks to you (beforehand) that are willing to help me a little!

2. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I use the 50Mbps Mov (I'm in NTSC territory), avoiding the 72 all Intra frame. I don't know what PAL equivalents there are for you.

I use mostly 30p (again NTSC), you should maybe start out trying 25p

24p is mainly for those who are convinced that that frame rate makes the video look "filmic". By itself it does not so I don't chase that "will-o-the-wisp". The cinematic look comes more from composition, framing, lighting, exposure, set, and other factors than from frame rate.

Manual, most definitely.
    You should start out with shutter at 1/50th to be somewhat in synch with your PAL power line frequency to avoid banding and flickering if artificial lights are used for lighting or included in the scene. Aperture set for Depth Of Field effect desired. And ISO appropriate to your lighting conditions. ND filters may be needed to avoid real small apertures.

Probably not.

Yes. A few configuration items need to be set. I just had eye surgery so can't hunt up what menus all may be on.

Dial on top set for Movie Icon. Find EXPOSURE MODE and set this to M (choices are P,A,S,M) for manual.

Then find CONSTANT PREVUE, set this to ON, so that in Manual Exposure mode for both video and stills the LCD and EVF will lighten or darken with changes in exposure

Find EXPO.METER and set this to ON. This will turn on the meter display at the bottom of the screen

You also have them on the E-M5 but the codec on the GH3 is better.

Thanks to you (beforehand) that are willing to help me a little![/QUOTE]

I hope what I have here helps you some.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Great questions. Does anybody know if all of these apply to GX7 video as well? Also, any quick and easy tricks for stabilization?

4. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I hope what I have here helps you some.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much! This gave me already a lot to go on. I hope that my GH3 will arrive next week (as my camera store said) so I can start to experiment :smile:

5. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    From what I've read, the GX7 video implementation is much the same as the GH3. There may be minor differences but the configurations I've outlined should be there. I see very good video from this camera and would have one except for the retail price on it. I'll watch prices over the next 6-12 months or so.

Stabilization: YES!

I just found this simple, fairly lightweight "cage" that is tremendously flexible and very inexpensive. Be sure to watch both videos on this page. They sold me!

http://www.photographyandcinema.com.../products/gearbox-video-camera-accessory-cage

I ordered the GearBox GB1, the simplest, at $95.00. I tried it first with the risers removed and mounted the E-M5 in it with the 17mm f2.8. The grips (sides) are spaced just far enough you have a two handed grip that adds a lot of stability. Then I put the risers back in place, mounted a Manfrotto 577 quick release adapter (both of my tripods have 501PL compatible heads) on the top of the bottom plate so I can put a 501PL plate on any of the cameras I have and slide it into place. This really makes it usable, and if the battery access cutout on the bottom plate doesn't match up with your cam you still have a fairly quick way to do a battery change.

It's a simple matter to add cold shoe mounts to the top, I ordered 3 from amazon and had a few 1/4x20 bolts on hand to mount them. Good for mics, light, audio recorder etc. If you're into "rails" look at the GB2 and GB3 deals.

I already had the Honu cage made for the GH3 and liked it real well but this GB1 is more flexible as it will handle cameras up to the size of the 5D MkII, and you can go larger with extra risers.

• Like Like x 2
  6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks Bif. I messed around with the GX7 last night and was able to set it up as described for the GH3. And thanks for the stabilization advice!

7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Shoot the frame rate that you will deliver in.

If online like YouTube or Vimeo, then 24p. If you're shooting something that will be burned to a DVD, then 25p.

Manual mode always.

• Like Like x 1
  8. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    You have a PM and thank you for the kind words :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Thank you all for your great answers!
    Another questions that hit me: for using the 72 Mbps ALL-I and the 50 Mbps modes - what kind of SD card would I need for the recordings to run smoothly?
    Ordinary class 10 card or better? I'm trying to not go for the most expensive ones if it isn't necessary.

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    UHS-1 class 10. Better continuous speeds, can't comment on fast vs ultrafast card differences.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    I dont know really but since I knew that I was buying the BMPCC when I bought the GH3 I whent for the Sandisk 95mb/s which I guess is the most expensive one. But if I remember correctly Griffin Hammond of Indy Mogul used the Sandisk 45mb/s when he shot his documentary "Sriracha" in the 72 Mbps mode.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Thanks again for all the great info!

I decided to go "cheap" and ordered SanDisk Ultra 64GB SDXC UHS-I.
    Just 30 MB/s read and 10 MB/s (80 Mbps) write speed. This should be sufficient for the ALL-I 72 Mbps mode (as the card writes in 80 Mbps), right?

14. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I have my GH3 now and everything else I ordered (Lance Loop Camera Neck Strap & SD-card).
    I am playing around with it now. Recorded my first video of one of my cats.

One question comes to mind:

In the menu when I have dialed in the movie mode (on the PASM dial) and I have set focus to manual focus... I manual focused on the cat and started the recording with the shutter button... Then when I'm trying to manual focus on another item while recording, the magnifying view doesn't appear. Should I put continuos AF to "OFF" in the menu to be able to manual focus on other things while recording? Or do I have to press on the display on the other item in order to manual focus again?
    How does "Continuos AF" in the menu work?

15. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    This is from the manual, I guess the function button "FN3" is the key :)

namnlos.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Thanks again! What does continuous AF mean when selected "ON" in the menu even if I have chosen MF (on the physical selector)?

17. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Then it tries to keep a moving object in focus. I usualy had the push to focus option. So when something I was following came out of focus I could correct it manualy or if I was lazy by pushing the trigger half way again.

18. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Extended Teleconverter on GH3? How does it work?

I am trying to figure out how the Extended Tele Converter on the GH3 work.
    As I understand it, it doesn't degrade the IQ?
    I would like to use it mainly for video mode as I can crop the photos later (I don't see the advantage for the photo side, rather for the video side it would be great).

How can I easily set it up for use during video recording, to get closer to the action fast when I need it?

19. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    ETC only works on certain modes, not 1080/60p or 720/60p.

I use mine very often for wildlife videos.

20. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I have the PAL-version. It does work in 1080/25p, doesn't it?