Question to the gurus about about leica 50mm summicron...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by popcan, May 30, 2014.

1. popcan

popcan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    Can a collapsible 50mm f2 Summicron lens fit onto a GX7 without any problems? (using the proper adapter, of course).

I am thinking of getting one... would it be worth it?

Edited to add:
    the reason I ask is because I just tried one of the 50mm dual range lenses on my GX7 and I think the close focus feature prevents me from focussing to infinity. (The cam at the back is too long and hits the inside of the camera when racked out)
  2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Just one quick thing I learned adapting Nikon lenses. FF lenses projects a lot of light around the sensor and this bounces around. So with a 50mm opened at f/1.4 the images are washed out, with little contrast. Stopping down to f/2 helps but and I have a reasonable contrast only from 2.8.
    I think this can affect different lenses in different ways but if you plan to use it mostly wide open it is something to verify.

Just out of curiosity why are you considering this lens instead, for example, the Nocticron 1.2?
  3. popcan

popcan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
  4. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    I had a collapsible summicron. The screwmount has soft coating on front lens, so you won't find one in good condition for cheap. Those scratches lower the contrast immensely. The bayonnet collapsible summicron is better in that reguard.

Even then, this first summicron is not very sharp wide open. All the later itteration are better. But still it has a great romantic rendition for women portraiture wide open.

Those collapsible screwmount summicron are cheap for a good reason.

Also beware not to buy a damage lens! With all the generation of summicron, they are all good, the modern one from the 70s and up are all equal optically, but you have to find one in perfect optical shape!

I have a chrome tabbed 50mm summicron and it is stellar lens even on m4/3. Not ultra contrasty but this is leica contrast style. No abberations. Very very sharp even wide open. I love that lens. But a nocticron I have ordered and should arrive with the 15mm summilux next month... They will autofocus!!!
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Performance aside....

It should mount and work. JUST DON"T COLLAPSE IT. Put some tape or plastic on the barrel to prevent accidentally collapsing it into the body.

Honestly... you can't beat native options at similar prices.
  6. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I don't think your problem was part of the lens hitting any portion of the camera. What was happening was a conflict between the lens' focusing cam and the mount adapter. I have a Summicron-DR (v1) which I use occasionally on my G-1 via a Fotodiox adapter without any problems. I've read that some adapter accept the DR's unique cam dimensions and some don't.

as USAYIT wisely noted, DO NOT COLLAPSE any collapsible adapted M-mount or LTM lens while it is on the camera.

I also agree with the opinion that buying a Summicron 50 solely to adapter to m43 is a poor choice. I use my DR because I acquired it along with an M3 30 years ago. Quite frankly, my Takumar 50mm f/1.8 delivers as good or slightly better images and is a much better 2014 purchasing choice, as would a native m43 lens. The summicron-DR is smaller (a plus) but heavier.
  7. popcan

popcan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    Thanks for all the excellent information!

Now I don't think I will keep searching for one of these collapsible summicrons. Instead, first I will see if I can find out which adapter can accomodate the 50mm DR summicron that I have on hand. It's in great condition, but I thought I could not use it except on my M3.

Offhand, does anyone know which adapter that would be? Oh sorry - you mentioned a Fotodiox adapter. I will try one! Thanks!