1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Question to B&W shooters

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bridgemix, Jun 16, 2012.

1. bridgemix

bridgemix Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    Sweden
    Hey all,

Maybe a stupid question, but to all of you that shoot these fantastic B&W pics.
    Do you use B&W (tweaked or not) direct from the camera, or do you process theme in LR or equal?
    If so, do you use plugin like NIK etc...

All input is welcomed, thanks!

Ps. I'm using a GX1 with PL 25mm

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I shoot RAW and processed the RAW images in Aperture into B&W. That way I have both color and B&W. I have NIK, but I prefer to do all enhancements by hand.

Gary

3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i do raw+jpg set to grainy bw, and recently added art bracketing for dramatic bw
    i generally use the jpgs just to get a general idea of what i COULD do in NIK SILVER EFEX PRO(which is miraculous to use)
    tho, sometimes i like the jpgs just fine, or more so, the no muss, no fuss of not having to PP everything to death, and just post those

just depends on my mood, and how good the jpgs exposures come out

4. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Shooting only in RAW, developpement in LR4 and B/W conversions with NIK SilverEfex

C U,
    Rafael

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Nik Silver Efex Pro for about 99.9% of my B&W when I have access to my Mac. When I don't, snapseed on the iPad. The only straight for camera B&W I ever use is the Ricoh GRD3 high contrast B&W setting, which is really over the top but can be a lot of fun.

-Ray

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have used monotone with color filters on my E-PL2 but I also use NIK (to have both B&W and color as stated above). There are also several interesting ways to produce B&W in Photoshop, I've used a couple at different times.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Incidentally, there is something to be said for actually shooting in B&W as opposed to color. You see the world in a different way. It can change the way you compose and frame a shot, often producing something very different than if you had been shooting color. I have a daughter who loves to shoot in B&W and she produces some awesome photos. :cool:

8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I love that the lcdevf shows in bw when shooting rawjpg on grainy bw

- Eliot@Austin, TX

• Like Like x 1
  9. StefanB

StefanB Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Stefan
    I shoot RAW and process in Lightroom and Silver Efex Pro. You could probably get the same result in LR only, but it would take way longer. SEP's controls are very powerful yet simple to understand and use.

10. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    This, very much so. I shoot a lot of B&W, but I only shoot RAW on my G3. While sometimes I do conversions from orignally colorful shots, I have a custom mode set for B&W RAW shots. You do in fact see the world very differently shooting in B&W, oftentimes. You care more about texture and composition than color, white balance, and some other aspects of the light.

I also sometimes use B&W as a cheat for some of my low light photos, haha. If I'm having too much trouble getting the colors and white balance right after they become distorted by high ISOs, I'll just switch to B&W to save myself the trouble!