Question Regarding using an SLR lens on a m43

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by generalruckus, May 1, 2012.

1. generalruckus

generalruckus New to Mu-43

May 1, 2012
    Hi !

I recently got an e-p2 olympus.
    The lens they shipped with along with the camera is 14-42 lens but for an SLR camera.
    ( Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens for Olympus Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo)

Could you confirm whether I can use the same (with an adapter) on my e-p2 ?
    Or do I need to return the same and get the micro fourthirds lens itself : ( Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Micro Digital Zoom Lens (Black) for PEN Micro 4/3 E-P1, E-P2, E-P3, E-PL1, E-PL2, E-PL3, E-PM1 Cameras: Camera & Photo)

Also if SLR lens, could you direct me to the right adapter ?

Thanks in advance !
    - Umesh
  2. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012

Because of their shorter flange focal distance, Micro 4/3rds cameras can use lenses made for an SLR with the use of an adapter. While possible, I would always recommend using a lens designed for your camera. The main benefit of these adapters is for unique or exotic lens. I see no benefit for an everyday lens.

Should you want to use an adapter: The Olympus MMF-2 Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds Lens Adapter makes it possible to mount any existing Four Thirds lens on a Micro Four Thirds digital camera such as the Olympus E-P1, E-P2, and E-PL1. AF shooting using Live View is possible with lenses featuring contrast AF compatibility. When a contrast AF incompatible lens is used, the AF assist function engages.

The M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R Lens (Black) from Olympus is a high-power wide to short telephoto zoom (28-84mm in 35mm equivalent) that offers amazing optical performance in an extraordinarily compact and lightweight (3.9 oz, 111g) design.

In order to fit the requirements for Micro Four Thirds System cameras, this lens features a reduced lens diameter (2.2", 56.5mm) and overall length (1.9", 50mm). It's constructed with 8 elements in 7 groups, employing three aspherical lenses.
    • Like Like x 1