1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question regarding options on Wide Angle Lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by damienr8, Oct 7, 2014.

1. damienr8

damienr8 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2014
    Hi Guys, I'm new to the M43 format coming from a 8 year old Nikon D200. I do real estate photography as a side job throughout the year and I'm switching formats due to a sensor issue with the D200. I have settled on the GX7 as my camera due to a combination of factors, one being that I feel a more portable outfit can take the place of my mobile phone camera when travelling (which i do alot). Just to clear the air, i'm not an individual that upgrades their camera on a yearly basis just to keep up - I'd like to keep this for at least 3 years.

Which brings me to this scenario. My primary requirement for the GX7 is to shoot real estate. For that i need a wide angle lens that is capable with low distortion, CA, etc. I don't need a fast wide angle since i'm usually shooting in the f8-11 range. Being that this lens will be solely for real estate, i don't actually require a lens with AF. On my Nikon i had a Sigma 10-20mm 3.5-5.6 and I was pleased with the focal range and performance. To be honest - I shoot between 10-16mm which translates to ~15mm at the widest end on a 35mm equivalent. In my preference, i have seldom the need for anything wider than 15mm.

My questions are as follows:

1. Should i go the route of getting the Panasonic 7-14mm and call it a day (maybe someone can tell me the pros/cons of this)?
    2. Are there any third party MF M43 lens offerings that might fit my needs?
    3. Should i go the Speedbooster route and get a variable zoom wide angle that fits into my requirements

Additional Info:
    1. I need to get something in the next 2 weeks - It cannot be something unreleased
    2. Out of pocket is 1K USD

kind regards,
    Damien

2. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    1. Yes
    2. see no. 1
    3. also see no. 1

:biggrin: Sorry, maybe it's not much help but in the 15mm equivalent range on m43 you're very limited and the Panny 7-14 is a good match for the GX7 from what I've heard

3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Assuming you want a rectilinear lens the choices are:

AF:

P7-14 f4
    O9-18 f4-5.6 (maybe not wide enough)

P8 f3.5

MF:

Model KOWA PROMINAR 8.5mm F2.8
    Release Date September 20, 2014

4. damienr8

damienr8 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2014
    Hah! Thanks! Natively, that's the only way to go i suppose!

5. damienr8

damienr8 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2014
    Thanks both of you. Looking for some compelling thoughts on a Speedbooster/Focal Reducer and lens combo.... Just read a few minutes ago about a Nikon > M43 Speedbooster with a Sigma 8-16!....but that's over 1K

• Like Like x 1
  6. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    If you can live with 18 (ie 9 native) then the Olympus 9-18 is not a bad choice and not pricey.

7. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    A Speedbooster will give you the same crop factor of your Nikon D200 on your GX-7, so your Sigma 10-20 will be 15mm on the widest end. I have the Mitakon version and had shot it with my E-PL1 and my Nikkor 10-24mm DX lens. Here are the examples.

P8194030. P8194013.

Unfortunately, the Mitakon version of the speedbooster can not adjust the G version aperture lever, whereas the Metabones Speedbooster can plus is a bit MORE sharper on the corners than mine which to me looks good enough. I use the Mitakon and the 10-24 for astrophotography so I manually open it wide which were the case for the 2 sample photos. @ f/8, it will be really sharp on my Mitakon copy.

8. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    A Metabones Speedbooster will give you a crop factor of 1.42, not 1.5.

There isn't a Mitakon version of the Metabones Speedbooster. There is a Mitakon focal reducer, but it shares nothing with the Metabones design.

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

I do occasional Real Estate photography; I have the 4/3 Oly 7-14mm and 8mm Oly fisheye...

I did some tests; 9mm is not nearly wide enough for small rooms; 7mm rectilinear is still not wide enough for a full shot of a 10x11' bedroom or most bathrooms.

You may want to get an 8mm or 7.5mm fisheye along with the 7-14mm Pana; you can de-fish in software when needed.

There's a couple mu-43 fisheyes: an AF Panasonic, and some MF lenses:
    http://hazeghi.org/mft-lenses.html

However, if you were happy with 15mm equivalent rectilinear on the Nikon, maybe you don't need the FE.

Barry

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  10. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Speedbooster is just a trademark; but I guess you're critical about using a trademark name, so yes you're right but you're incorrect to say Speedbooster is not a focal reducer. It is, but employs the trademark name Speedbooster like Nikon puts some fancy name on its computer CPU as EXPEED4 or DIGIC for Canon whatever or Truepic whatever on Olympus. The trademark name for Mitakon is called the Lens Turbo, but by itself means nothing more than a suggestion of speed; hence Speed whatever.

A focal reducer is not a new invention and the crop factor is very similar -- 14.2mm and 15mm is not going to be very noticeable unless you pixel peep 100 to 400% and measure or use a tape measure and ruler, but if the OP has to sell to clients who incessantly measure the dimensions of their homes with the Spectaruler app, then yes we must be precise thank you! :biggrin:

11. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I never said that :wink: I just wanted to clear up the misunderstandings that some have about the various focal reducers that are out there. The Mitakon and Metabones implementations are completely different. One is not a 'version', nor 'clone' or 'copy' of eachother. Since you know that both LensTurbo and Speedbooster are trademarks, why say '...Mitakon version of the speedbooster...'? Why not '...the Mitakon focal reducer...', or even just '... the lens turbo'?

Sorry mate... just in a pedantic mood today :biggrin:

12. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    No worries mate; but thank you for correcting my error! :biggrin:

13. damienr8

damienr8 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2014
    BikerHiker and RnR. Thank you for the excellent input on alternatives to a native lens. I am totally open to a focal reducer and just came across a thread on DP review that applauds the Metabones speedbooster over it's competition. I'd love to use a speedbooster pending price - I only have 1k to spend. What do you think of the below:

Metabones + Sigma 8-16mm
    Metabones + Canon 10-20mm
    Metabones + Nikon 10-24mm
    Metabones + ???

Any others im missing.

14. damienr8

damienr8 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2014
    Barry,
    Thanks for your input - very much appreciated since you share the same occupation on occasion. I totally get what you mean regarding 12x12 rooms, bathrooms, etc. however i've managed that quite well in the past. A variable zoom lens would be ideal, but i wouldn't cross off a prime.

A couple interesting options are:
    Samyang 10mm f2.8 Nikon FMount + Speedbooster will give an effective ~15mm view (in 35mm format).
    Sigma 8-16mm Nikon F Mount + Speedbooster will give an effective ~12mm (in 35mm format)

what do you think?

15. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, a SpeedBooster is an option, but a good one is expensive and those lenses are large and heavy and not especially cheap.

I'd also wonder how the distortion, CA, etc. would be with those lenses, as I'm totally unfamiliar with them.

ISTM a Pana 7-14mm (~$1000USD new) would make more sense, unless you can find a great deal or already have the other lenses.

Other options include the Oly 4/3 7-14mm; it's better than the Pana but it's heavier and not going to be cheaper (even used) and needs a 4/3 -> mu-43 adapter (~$100USD)

Or you could get a $300 fisheye and the Oly 9-18mm for about $1000 total, but 9mm is limiting indoors so you'd have to use the FE (and de-fish) a lot.

Barry