1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question re Nikon mount lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Craig Horsman, May 4, 2015.

1. Craig Horsman

Craig Horsman Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2015
    Craig Horsman
    Hi all. Searching around in the forum I have not found much info on adapting Nikon mount lens on m43 cameras. I recently acquired a lightly used E-M5 and already own a non OS Sigma 120-300 2.8 lens in the Nikon mount. Is this a likely candidate to use on my E-M5, or do long focal length lens in the Nikon mount not play well with the m43 cameras?
    It would be fun to play with a 240-600 2.8 equivalent lens for birds and other wildlife.

Thanks, Craig

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you have the non OS Sigma 120-300 2.8, I believe that lens still has an aperture ring. You can just order a Nikon F to M43 adapter from Amazon, Ebay, etc. Nikon G lenses require Nikon G to M43 adapters that allow for aperture changing on the adapter itself. Since it's a zoom I recommend to choose a focal length (such as 300mm) and then input the focal length in-camera to properly utilize the 5-axis IBIS. If not, you can leave IBIS off and rely on monopod/tripod support. Hope that helps!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Craig Horsman

Apr 25, 2015
    Craig Horsman
    Thanks for the advice, Jonathan. In the past I have had some fun handholding this lens, but getting older and if this can work my back tells me it will be a tripod lens.
    And yes, the lens has an aperture ring.
    I have a couple areas available to shoot waterbirds from the road, which is good fun. If i can use this lens for the long work then I will budget some $ for better support.
    Thanks again, Craig

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    That shouldn't be a problem Craig. I have loads of Nikkor glass that I can adapt to my E-M5 via a Nikon-F to M43 mount. What makes the combo nice is that the camera carries its own vibration reduction (IBIS) and doesn't need that capability in any lens. There are two downfalls:
    (1) as far as I know there is no inexpensive way to enable auto-focus if at all, and
    (2) because of the way IBIS works, once the camera is done processing an image it will be just a shade behind (milliseconds?) what you originally saw in your viewfinder.

For me this latter issue has not been too much of a problem (a little maybe, but not Earth-shattering for my purposes).

5. Craig Horsman

Apr 25, 2015
    Craig Horsman
    Tom, thanks for posting. I had not seen many users of Nikon glass in the posts.

The IBIS is part of the reason for buying the camera. Developed a little hand shake, guess it came with this white beard I see every morning.
    Having to manual focus will probably be a good thing. Need to slow down, work on technique and composition.
    And thanks for mentioning the milliseconds delay, it would have taken me a while to figure that out.

Now, are any of the cheap ebay adapters worth starting out with, or should I go ahead and get a Metabones?

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    If you're happy without a focal reducer I've found the cheap adapters work perfectly adequately.

7. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I have been using a Voigtlander F to u4/3 adapter for years. My most used Nikkors are the 105/2.5 and 55/2.8 Micro.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Craig Horsman

Apr 25, 2015
    Craig Horsman
    Adequate will probably be a good place to start.
    I have seen used 55 micros at very affordable prices.
    And if it looks long term, maybe a voigtlander for Christmas?

9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd also consider trying out Focal Reducer/Lens Turbo/Speed Booster adapters. You lose the 2x reach and revert to a 1.5x crop reach, but gain a 1 stop ability in light gathering. If you're doing a lot of telephoto shooting, it'd probably be a good idea to have both in the kit. Use a normal adapter when you have good light and want the reach, use a focal reducer adapter when you want a bit more light gathering and/or better DOF control.

10. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
  11. Craig Horsman

Apr 25, 2015
    Craig Horsman
    Jonathan & RnR, I read a bit on "Speed Booster". Oh yea, math. Seems it would turn a 120-300 f/2.8 into a 85-210 f/2.0, approx. Out of my price range for now, but thank you for the info. Still, for some applications the extra f stop would be desirable. Lol, when is an extra f stop undesirable?

Have to put my priorities in some sort of order:
    Buy camera
    Buy lens
    Buy grip for smallish camera
    Eat
    Pay bills
    Buy more lens
    GAS pain

If the F-mount to m43 adapter gives me decent images with my Sigma lens, then my immediate lens needs (desires) become within reach.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Craig, if you didn't get what you needed from the other posters, I would answer - yes, a cheap adapter will interface the lens to the camera but you won't have auto focus and you will have to set the diaphragm/aperture manually. I wouldn't go to Metabones unless you want higher-end capabilities. Good luck on whatever you decide.

13. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Yeah its a premium adapter, but its not only for the fstop advantage. It also boosts sharpness, makes your lenses wider and is a more compact (something of the order of 5mm) adapter than your standard hollow adapter. The first time I used a Speedbooster I could already see something magical was happening in the evf. But yeah the costs only makes sense if you have a set of lenses to share the costs around.

Anyways, the Nikon mount is a nice place to be. If you like manual focus and want to go further there is a nice range of glass to take advantage of. Not only Nikon glass, but also Voigtlander and ofcause the awesome Zeiss ZF/ZF.2 range. If you (or anyone else) want a quick overview of IQ from this range of lenses, this old thread (offsite) is pretty awesome - http://forum.mflenses.com/zeiss-nikon-voigtlaender-which-pass-the-d800-36mpix-test-t53510.html

14. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Perhaps a silly question, the various differing mounts and their exact dimensions were never something I dug into too deeply - but - is there any clever way to get the most out of a single speedbooster purchase? Say, can you buy an FD speedbooster only, and then use a Nikon Ai > FD adapter, then feed that to your FD Speedbooster on m43? Is there any particular mount that accepts the widest variety of 35mm/other format lenses?

15. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Canon FD is probably the best one. You can also get m42 adapters for the FD mount. The designer of the Speedbooster have stated that there is an image quality cost for doing this, but I think its very slight. Especially on m43.

16. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Sweeeeeet I know what's next on my list then.

17. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Craig, I was looking through this thread and your first line just registered with me. I considered pointing back to an older post (maybe even in this subforum, but decided to repost it here - I hope I'm not breaking any rules). This is my Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D on my OM-D E-M5 (original version). Looks pretty awesome in my opinion :clapping:You can just barely read that the adapter is one of the cheapies (Fotodiox or something).

P6180342a1_zps6ac20afd.

I think later this morning I may try using my new Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF ED with the TC 20EIII on the same camera at my grandsons' T-ball game (we'll see how that goes before I post anything). And by the way, if you do the math in your head that will be an effective 1200mm!!!

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  18. Craig Horsman

Apr 25, 2015
    Craig Horsman
    Hey Tom, sounds like fun.
    Please let us know how the 300mm f/4, with and without teleconverters, works out for you, and your support setup. At 1.6 pounds that lens is very appealing to those of us looking for a lighter setup for our Nikon gear and now for the extra reach on m43. I have a foot in both camps for now.

1200 equivalent is ridiculous, in a good way. I wonder what benefit the ibis has, if any, at that range.

19. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd keep an eye out for a used Voigtlander Nikon F to M43 adapter. Of all the adapters I've tried, the Voigtlander had the best tolerances. The cheap adapters tend to focus pass infinity.

Anyways, to whet your appetite here's my E-M10 mounted to a Nikon 500mm f/4 AF-S! :D

500_em10.

20. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Jonathan, I chickened out today. I tried the 300 + TC2 on the OM-D at home (inside - in the dim light - probably a mistake) and the ibis was virtually worthless! I even started wondering if it was working or required some smart lens cooperation that wasn't happening. I ended up not taking any adapted lenses to the T-ball game. The 300mm w/o TC is a non-player for me because I already have the Lumix 100-300 zoom that I use on the OM-D (and that works great with the ibis - although just a tad soft at the 300mm end). But I guess that is about the limit (at least for me), and I have always turned off VR when on a tripod - as is the rule for Nikon in most cases, so the tripod application was not in my plans either.