Question re: external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Livnius, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hi all.

In 2 days I'm heading off to the US and Canada for 8 weeks, for the most part I will be traveling British Columbia and in parts Alberta.

Although snowboarding is the primary focus of the trip, photography will be a significant part as well.

My plan is to pick up 2 perhaps 3 16gb class 10 sdhc cards to compliment the 32gb card I already have. I will be shooting a bit of video and trying my hand at time-lapse stuff....so as you could imagine, I need gigabytes !!!

I have a 300gb Western Digital Elements external hard drive....nice and compact and reliable performance.my question is:

Are there any issues with data integrity when passing through the various airport scanners ? I'd hate to go through an X-ray and blitz all my images !!!!

I can't find the original box nor any literature online regarding such issues for the unit I have.

If I know the hard drive in question is prone to data loss/malfunction I will just buy another....but I'd rather not if there is no need.

Thanks in advance.

2. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    there shouldnt be.as I have gone through many times with my notebooks and external had drives. if you are worry. you can always go to local IT store and transfer the directorys to a
    DVD as extra backup. All my SD cards, and hard drives has travel pretty well without any
    problems. ( but backup to be safe)

3. I've never had a problem so far with memory cards, portable hard drives, or media storage devices.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I've never had any problems passing through security with my had drives or SD cards.

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    One note about time lapse - you don't need full resolution images. If you need to conserve space, shoot 6mp JPGs. HD is 1920 x 1080.

Enjoy snowboarding!

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Have you thought about uploading your images to a service like SmugMug or Zenfolio instead of using a HD? You get a bit more security having your images in 2 different locations rather than all together. While I doubt you'll have any issues with security scanners there is always the issue of a HD failure (mechanical drives do fail) or something more mundane like losing it, getting it wet or even getting it stolen. Traveling in Canada you should have ready access to fast internet and you can upload high resolution images to these services. The cheat however is that it's not worth it however if you don't have fast internet access. I tried it while in Spain and that was pretty much the Achilles heel of the plan but when traveling in the U.S. it works pretty well. It does take a leap of faith to trust images to the cloud but as a backup to my SD cards I've been pretty happy with it.

7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks guys.
    I know my lexar and sandisk cards are X-ray proof, I remember reading that much on the packaging, I just wasn't sure about the WD portable hard drive. It appears as though you guys haven't had any issues so I'm more than happy to go with that.

Much appreciated.

Cheers John....I can't wait, lol, explains why I'm still up at 3am !

8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Sounds a good idea Kevin but I'm not too sure just how much quality Internet access I'll have in places like Mount Baker, Kicking Horse etc.

If I do happen to find such access I think your suggestion would be a great insurance policy. I'll keep it in mind.

9. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Many hotels now provide free wifi within their confines. You may also be in Canada during the tail end of our annual Boxing week sale and may be able to pick up an sd card or portable hd at a bargain (at least it would be a bargain to us in th frigid north).

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, at Mt. Baker (I live in Bellingham) you likely don't but drop down into Whatcom County (and you have to go through it go leave Baker) and its pretty easy to find. Kicking Horse is another matter entirely. :eek:

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Remember that most airports retain the power to examine/search your hard drives. It is rarely practiced so I wouldn't worry about it.

G

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Encrypt and backup all critical data. Preferable in triplicate. You can't be too safe and you can't be too cautious.

DH

13. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Kevin: funnily enough Bellingham is likely going to be my base for about a week while boarding at Baker, which means I'll be catching the Baker Bus up and back every day. I chose Bellingham for the mod cons like inet access etc. looking forward to seeing that part of the world....just hoping the snow kicks in again real soon :)

Gary: I'm banking on my tried and tested 'lovable Aussie' routine to charm and disarm any eager beaver airport official ;)

Btw. I intend to do my part and support the local economy while up there....I can pick up a 16gb class 10 card for about 25 bucks over your way.....$60+ here !!! Not to mention I'm keeping a keen eye out for a GX1 body !!

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    ahhhh ... the elusive GX1.