Question re: 2012 Mac Mini...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lettermanian, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Lettermanian

Lettermanian Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2014
    Surrey BC, Canada
    Hello, mu43 rookie and lurker here with a question regarding the OS on my Mini. I have a 2012 i7 quad core 2.3 ghz mac Mini that I will be listing for sale in a few days. I am in the process of migrating everything over to the new machine and want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I erase/reset my mini. My question: it is currently running Yosemite. Would it be better to reset it without upgrading to El Capitan, and thus the buyer can upgrade if desired? Or, should I upgrade to El Cap before selling? I've read on various forums that some people do not prefer El Cap. I am a fairly active contributor over at DPR under the same user name, but haven't received much response on this question, so thought I'd try here. I appreciate any input. Thanks :)

2. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    I'm running two Mac mini's here and have had several more. I normally revert back to the version it was released with and advertise it as such. If I have additional software I mention that I can put it on if the buyer wants it. E.g. I have pages, numbers etc. Normally I get told not to bother, the buyer prefers to do his own thing. Occasionally I get asked to upgrade to another version of OS X, main reason download speed. Good luck.

3. Lettermanian

Lettermanian Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2014
    Surrey BC, Canada
    Thanks, this is along the lines of what I was thinking; let the buyer decide. I think there's more value to that when there is an option of which OS comes with the mini.