Question on using panasonic lens on EP-2

Dannyh

New to Mu-43
I've been thinking of getting an EP-2 in the future and I'm in the research stage. I'm interested in a couple of the panasonic lens, the 7-14 and 45 macro. What functions will not work on a Olympus? Will Auto focus be gone, anything else? I have a E3 that is in use daily. I backpack this all over the place, even on vacations with the 12-60, 50-200 and tripod. Over the past year it's wearing on me a little and I'm really interested in a lighter system. I still have to handle the EP-2 and EPl1 a few more times, and bring in a SD card to take some shots before deciding. I did notice that I liked the grip on the Epl1 more than the EP-2, I'm tring to find out what is dumbed down in the EPL1 compaired to the EP-2. Thanks for any help.

sebastel

Mu-43 Regular
as soon as you release the shutter, it will explode, leaving a black hole that in the final consequence swallows the whole world.

Stephan

Mu-43 Rookie
as soon as you release the shutter, it will explode, leaving a black hole that in the final consequence swallows the whole world.

:rofl: this is most definitely a perfectly viable outcome in one of the many parallel universes around our own!

However, Dannyh, in our universe: as far as I understand the :43: system, native :43: lenses (Panasonic or Olympus) will work on both Panasonic as well as Olympus cameras with all functions. You might have slightly slower autofocus sometimes, but for the exact consequences you must wait for the answer of somebody more knowledgeable then me... I just have a GF1 + Pana-lenses, + some Minolta legacy ones...

Cheers, Stephan

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
They should work with all functions and like Stephan says the only issue may be due to a slightly slower AF. But there are involved many factors like software, camera and lens ecc.

So don't worry using Pana lens on Oly bodies will not overthrow the universe's order and will not involve God to set up everything you have subverted.:biggrin:

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I did notice that I liked the grip on the Epl1 more than the EP-2, I'm tring to find out what is dumbed down in the EPL1 compaired to the EP-2. Thanks for any help.
The only things that are technically different are that the E-PL1 does not have quite as fast a shutter speed and a slightly smaller LCD. The controls are differently laid out and it has a dedicated movie button, that is reprogrammable, and a pop up flash. However, it has a great ergonomic grip and is known for being a superb camera for manual focusing, among other things. Of course, I am prejudiced.:biggrin: You should read through Brian Mosely's thread here https://www.mu-43.com/f42/e-pl1-experience-diary-1686/ to get an overview of what the E-PL1 may offer you, depending on your needs.:wink:

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
There's one 'noticeable' difference : Olympus bodies do not make use of chromatic aberrations informations provided by the lens unlike panasonic bodies which do attempt to correct CA. Both bodies do correct geometrical aberrations in camera though.

Rationale is Olympus didn't bothered to include dedicated hardware / software for this function. Any 3rd party post-processing software worth its salt will manage that shortcoming.

Dannyh

New to Mu-43
Thanks for all the comments.
Wow, that's cool I have power of a black hole at my hands!
It's good to know that auto focus works, I just have to do more reading and on hands looking before I buy. The one thing that keeps me from the panosonic is that I like the in camera IS, but I'm always open to it if it fits my hands better. I also have a Panasonic FZ50, I'm familiar with it's controls and really like it's size, but it does have built in IS.
I think it I get Olympus, I should be able to work around most problems like chromatic aberrations, but I'm most comfortable with CS3, and may have to use .jpg instead of RAW until I get CS3 to read any new camera.

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks for all the comments.
Wow, that's cool I have power of a black hole at my hands!
It's good to know that auto focus works, I just have to do more reading and on hands looking before I buy. The one thing that keeps me from the panosonic is that I like the in camera IS, but I'm always open to it if it fits my hands better. I also have a Panasonic FZ50, I'm familiar with it's controls and really like it's size, but it does have built in IS.
I think it I get Olympus, I should be able to work around most problems like chromatic aberrations, but I'm most comfortable with CS3, and may have to use .jpg instead of RAW until I get CS3 to read any new camera.

I have Epl-1 and it's great. I call here Lucille. Maybe thats why sometimes she's awkward.:wink:

nishendu

Mu-43 Regular
I am going to Alaska next month. The new dedicated m 4/3 42/150 from olympus is not going to be out for a few more weeks. Would Panasonic 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8 OIS Micro Four Thirds Lens work just as well on my EP 2?

Latest threads

Top Bottom