1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question on ThinkTank Citywalker 20

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jon595, Feb 15, 2013.

1. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I'm a camera bag addict. It's not a problem however because my wife accepts me for who I am...

Anyway, I still haven't found a bag that can hold my 13" MacBook Pro with camera gear comfortably to use for travel and packing everything to go places. The Citywalker 20 is very interesting to me right now for it's just right size. I know that it is not built hold a laptop, but I would use it in a non-oem way. My plan is to use my MountainSmith cube insert (or get a Domke since they are thinner depth wise) to replace the stock insert. This way, my hope is to be able to slide the laptop in front of the insert so that when I'm carrying the bag, the hard laptop side isn't banging against my back.

I'm also considering the Domke F-832, but like the looks and the quality of the Thinktank stuff better.

And if anyone would be interested in a brand new Timbuk2 Snoop (Small) that has only been used a few times, let me know. Great bag, just not what I want.

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Have you looked into the Kata back/sling bags? I have the 3n1-22, and can easily hold my G3, a flash, and 5-6 lenses (have it set up for 4 primes, one legacy zoom, and the kit lens). This still lets the top part of the bag become deeper, or I could put a couple of longer ones in the topmost slot. If you want 2 bodies, then it could still easily hold 4 lenses. The slot in the back is big enough for my wife's 11" netbook, so the mac may be a tighter squeeze, but it is listed as being able to fit.

3. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    Thanks, but I don't see it listed that my laptop will fit in there.

I have looked at the sling type bags, but after using one, I'm not a fan. I'd like to keep the messenger/satchel type form. I essentially want the smallest bag I can get to hold the 13" MacBook, some m4/3 camera gear and small odds and ends.

4. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    If you are a true camera bag addict, like me, you know there is no perfect bag. There is only the next bag.

5. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    So true. Since having a child, my amount of 'play' money has gone way down, so I can't buy as many or as quickly as I used too. I have my Domke F-5xa which is great for carrying single camera, two lenses around. I have a TT Retrospective 5 for when I do portrait shoots or light hiking so I can pack more lenses, filters, batteries, etc.

I'm looking for a bag for travel and camping that I can pack my laptop, decent amount of camera gear and other misc. items. The Timbuk2 Snoop (small) just isn't rubbing me the right way for it. It's about the right size, but I do not like the insert and I dont' like the feel of the material and strap. So the search continues...

6. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    IMG_9620.

Here's a City Walker 20 with a Macbook which is very close to a 13" MB Pro in size. It sits fine in the front IMO so this may work out for you. In the zippered compartment it's a tight fit and while the laptop will sit higher than the zipper, the flap still closes normally over the top.

Keep in mind that the City Walker series has thin padding which makes it very comfortable but perhaps more susceptible to damage. I like mine a lot and it works well within its carrying capacity.

I also use a Snoop insert inside an old Domke Reporter Satchel. I work in the city and sometimes a beater bag is better.

7. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    *sigh* Great. Now I want to buy one... That looks to be exactly what I want. How is it when wearing the bag and trying to get a camera in or out? Is the flap pliable and easily bent? Thanks so much.

Is that an old 13" polycarbonate MacBook (pre-unibody)?

8. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    I think the Mac is a 2007. I'm too old to remember...

The City Walker material is very pliable, more than the Retrospective or Domke canvas. This makes the bag very comfortable but maybe not as durable as the others. At the same time, it's less abrasive to what you're wearing.

It's easy for gear as the insert and dividers don't catch on bodies/lenses. I have a 6D w/40mm, 24-70 and 70-200 in there now. With m43 there is more than enough room.

The insert provides most of the padding with a thin pad on the back along the laptop/tablet space and two on the front. The bottom is unpadded, using the padding of the insert. I'm going to throw another pad on the bottom between the pad and insert(the 70-200mm is over 3#)

I've been using it almost daily, trying to wear it into my profile. It's pretty comfortable and easy to wear on the shoulder or slung over the opposite shoulder. The pad is comfortable but can slip on smooth clothing.

9. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    Just what I wanted to know. I think I would actually get a smaller insert for the bag for when I travel since my m4/3 gear most likely wont' take up all of the bag. For when walking around town, I'll use my Retrospective 5.

Thanks again for the picture and explanation. Now to just sell my Timbuk2 Snoop... which is already in the buy/sell forum.