question on the 12-50 zuiko lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jamesm1291, May 8, 2012.

1. jamesm1291

jamesm1291 New to Mu-43

May 7, 2012
    :confused:I just got my OMD with the 12-50 lens. I have no idea what the buttons on the side of the lens (L-Fn and macro are supposed to do. When I push either one, they don't seem to have any effect on the lens behavior on the camera. Macro focussing works in any case without button push and I have no idea about the other button. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
  2. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    The Macro button engages the zoom ring - slide it forward with the button pressed and the lens is locked and you can get incredibly close. The Fn button is programable - I know it has a purpose out of the box, but have never used it - I'm going to set it to toggle between MF and AF. The manual in the box doesn't really explain this - the online manual does a better job IMO
  3. lexnihilo

lexnihilo New to Mu-43

May 8, 2012
    To clarify a bit - since it took me a while to figure out, too - the zoom ring has 3 positions. Closest toward the camera body, the zoom ring is in "manual" mode (although I think it's still zoom-by-wire - if anyone knows better, please chime in). In the middle, it works as a toggle to power-zoom in or out.

To get to the last setting, for macro, you have to hold the "Macro" button on the lens and pull the zoom ring even further away from the body, until it clicks into the third setting. At that point, your lens will be locked to a zoom setting of 43mm and allow closer focus. However, in that setting, I believe focus will hunt more if you try to focus on a target further that a couple of feet away.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

L-Fn locks exposure and focus.

5. squashyo

squashyo New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2012
    So, hi to forum and just got an Olympus OM-D E-M5 and have this lens. I had trouble with this too so thanks for the lowdown. I have another question. There is the thicker zoom ring and closer to the end there is a thinner zoom ring...what does the thinner one do? I rotate it but don't notice any changes even when in Micro mode (noted above). What is this thinner ring and what does it do?

6. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    You must be talking about the focus ring. There are only two rings you can turn, the focus and the zoom. The focus ring will not do a thing unless you change your focus settings to manual