Question on Super Takumar

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by qball, Jun 30, 2010.

1. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    My Super Tak 50/1.4 has a lever towards the base that allows you to switch between Manual and Auto.

Is this irrelevant when using an m4/3 adapter? Or will one of the settings affect the lens and metering somehow?

2. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I would set it to Manual and rotate the Aperture ring to the desired Aperture.
    (I presume there is a ring) if there is no ring then its no go on the m43 body.

Auto allows the Pentax camera to adjust the aperture according to the light which is of no use on a m43 camera.

3. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Yeah. I've been playing with it and it works either way.

Yes, it has the aperture ring. seems to be a nice lens.

My copy is really nice.

4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Actually, this is not what the switch is for and the compatible Pentax cameras had no ability to set the aperture. The "Auto" refers to auto diaphram stopdown and not to any auto exposure function.

Super Takumar are auto-diaphram lenses, as are almost all modern lenses though the feature was somewhat new at the time these were introduced. When using the lens on a thread mount Pentax body and with the switch is in the Auto position, the aperture remains at maximum regardless of the f/stop ring setting until the camera is fired and it presses a small pin on the back which closes the aperture to the chosen f/stop. The Manual switch position is used to close the aperture to the chosen setting in situations where an accessory is used that disconnects the body from the lens (e.g. bellows, extension tubes,...) or when you wish to view at the chosen working aperture (DOF preview).

When you use the lens on an m4/3 body with an adapter one of two things happen. The adapter may push the pin all the time. If so, the lens closes to the chosen aperture regardless of the position of the switch. If the adapter doesn't push the pin then you need to set the switch in the Manual position when shooting in order to use any f/stop other than maximum..
  5. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The switch would be useful to allow critical focus wide-open, and then set the switch to stop down the lens. This assumes the adapter does not push the pin in. If I get an M42 mount adapter, I would make use of the feature on the lens.
  6. weezyfeezy

weezyfeezy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 21, 2010
    just screwed in a ST-55mm / 1.8 on Tuesday and I am loving it so far. Hard to believe it's 40 yrs old.
  7. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The oldest lens that I've had on the EP2 is from 1933. That is what I love about this format.