question on speed boosters

pinkf

New to Mu-43
Are there 0.5x speed boosters for m43 cameras?
That would be nice, then the entire field of view of FF lenses is also present when used on m43 cameras.

RnR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hasse
Are there 0.5x speed boosters for m43 cameras?
That would be nice, then the entire field of view of FF lenses is also present when used on m43 cameras.
None that I know of. The closest is the Metabones Speedbooster series for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. This focal reducer gets to x0.64. The camera use a m43 sensor and mount, so the associated Metabones Speedbooster may fit some m43 models. You would have to research which models are ok to use. Note that the filter stack is different between the Blackmagic camera and your usual m43 camera, so there may be slight suboptimal output differences at wide apertures compared to a normal Metabones Speedbooster for m43.

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
My understanding is that there's some physics involved that makes it nigh impossible to get all the way back to Fool Frame angle-of-view.

As Hasse mentioned, Metabones makes a 0.64. I believe it may work on Pannys, but the rear element extends way back, and Olympus ones have a thicker sensor stack, and thus it can't be used without impinging on the sensor, which makes my teeth hurt, just thinking about it.

There's a possibility that the 0.64 might work on Olympus bodies that have been modified for full-spectrum photography. So if I had a "beater" that I've upgraded, I might be tempted to try it, but I don't fancy spending ~$600 on a "might work" bit of gear!

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The Metabones Speed Booster XL 0.64x works with Panasonic camaras, and although not officially recommended for Oluympus, works with my Pen-F and E-M1 II no problem.

The problem with Olympus is the extra anti-reflection frame inside the bodies. The extender rear element could potentially touch that or even damage that, or the glass for that matter. It is a matter of measuring the depth of the frame vs the extension beyond the bayonet of the extender, and in my case, it is just fine. Close, but not too close.

The hassle with speed boosters is that the smaller magnifications require the glass to extend further into the body, which means it is difficult to make an extender that will fit, and it also depends on what the manufacturer has done to protect sensor and camera itself. The thicker sensor stack in Oly cameras also does not help there, obviously, but should not be a major hindrance with its 4 mm thickness. However, that little frame may well be a problem.

As mentioned, just measure it, but I reckon Metabones has likely been over-careful, and it will likely fit regardless, as it does with my Olympus bodies.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
As mentioned, just measure it, but I reckon Metabones has likely been over-careful, and it will likely fit regardless, as it does with my Olympus bodies.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
I suppose caution is justified if it's a near thing. If just 1/100 come into contact that could create a lot of expensive claims if they claimed it was fine.

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I suppose caution is justified if it's a near thing. If just 1/100 come into contact that could create a lot of expensive claims if they claimed it was fine.
Of course, very understandable, and that is why they advise against it.

However, as I mentioned, just measure it, and if the distance is 0.3 mm or more you should be fine.
In my case it si more than a mm anyway, but I would have to measure it again to be sure; it has been some time since I did so :). I am a perfectionist, so I tend to make doubly sure anyway :).

Kind regards, Wim

Latest threads

Top Bottom