1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question on Minolta 58mm 1.2 PG lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by aks6674, Mar 22, 2014.

1. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    There's a guy in my neck of the woods hawking one of these for 400 bucks on Craigslist. I've heard good things about Minolta glass, but don't know if this is worth it. Can anyone chime in on this?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Ebay lists them for 550+, so good as far as price goes. It has a silky smooth rendering, and is a giant hunk o' glass. If you are looking at a fast portrait prime, this would definately serve.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Naaa, I feel that is waaay to much for any legacy lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. darrellc

darrellc Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Cheap for this lens if in good shape. I've been looking and haven't seen such a low price on any of the reputable buy/sell forums (here, FM).

• Like Like x 1
  5. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    It is nice glass if you want to be amazed with looking through its big front element, but it is not very useful on a camera if you are looking for sharp shots wide open. You will have to stop it down to around F1.8-2 to get any sort of sharpness out of this lens (any lower and you will get the common legacy glow effect). And at that price, if you don't already have it, might as well just get the Oly 45mm F1.8, which is sharp wide open, smaller, and has autofocus.

I guess if video is your primary work then the Minolta lens is OK, but I just cant justify its price over a F1.7 or 1.8 legacy lens which costs $50 (because that is pretty much what you are getting with regards to sharpness). If you do really want something faster, get yourself a $60-80 F1.4 lens and save yourself some cash. I personally think legacy F1.2 glass a major fad.

6. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    Thanks all. I think I'll pass. Its not like I'm hurting for a portrait lens - I do have both 45 and 75. Just looking for something fun and useful to adapt. I think $400 is a little more than I want to spend in the toy department, though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I would look for its little brother the 1.4 version. Normally around $50. But since I have both, the 10x difference in price does show in images.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app