Question on manual focusing with adapted lenses on the GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by qball, Jun 19, 2010.

1. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    I don't have a GF1 yet, but I'm looking at one, and I'm also looking at an adapter for Leica-M lenses.

How is precise manual focusing accomplished with the GF1?

I'm used to split focus screens in my old

Does it make sense to invest in the LVF for using manual focus lenses and an adapter?

Thanks,

Q

2. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    I find manual focusing very precise on the GF1 with the focus assist function (2x magnification). Of course it becomes hard to use if you can't see the display properly (bright light) or when using a long, heavy lens (the image vibrates to much). That's when the EVF becomes very useful. I am using it a lot to fine focus even if the resolution is not great.

3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    my gf1 button push experience outdoes my ep1s simply push the left button then ok for a 7 of 10x focus assist manually focus till sharp appears very clear..... then lightly depress shutter to exit magnified focus assist [ ep1 does not do this !grrrrr!] compose shoot

it works very well , i find the evf excellent for composition in bright sunlight , where the screen washes out much more than the ep1, but resolution is too low to help you mf
    imho

4. Auntiepode

Auntiepode Mu-43 Regular

I shoot almost exclusively with the EVF. I dislike using the LCD on the back of the camera - reflections and eyes that no longer focus closely. Pushing the thumbwheel near the shutter release magnifies the image (FA). On rare occasions, I open the lens, focus, stop down the lens, and then take the image.

Here's an example, taken with an adapted Nokton 50mm f1.5 lens manually focused on a portion of the spider web:

[​IMG]