1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question on GH2's burst mode and using off-camera strobe

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jambaj0e, Dec 8, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Hey guys,
    I have a question on the GH2. I used to have the Olympus E-PL2 and when I used my wireless Cactus v5 trigger to trigger my Einstein monolight, I can use the burst mode to take the 3fps (Einstein flashes up to 10fps!!).

One thing that I noticed about the GH2 is that if I use my wireless trigger, the burst mode is disabled and I can only shoot one shot at a time. That really limits some of the timing shots that I sometimes need.

Is there a way to enable it?

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Can't help with GH2 but it might be comforting to know that E-P1 with Cactus works just fine in burst. Maybe there is hope ...

3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Anyone can help with my question?

4. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Anyone with a GH2?

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I've got a GH2 but I'm not much of a strobist...sorry

6. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    Verification: My new GH2 disables burst mode when the FL-36 is mounted.

Very strange and disappointing. This is the first time i've seen this "feature" in a camera.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Panasonic likes to do the thinking for you. ;)

8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I think page 77 of the GH2 manual pretty much puts the nail in the coffin:

9. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I guess the only way to do fast strobes is to pre-focus, throw into manual focus mode and fire fire fire!

10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    The new half-press shutter in the firmware update could help you there, maybe?

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Is this like the Shutter Release Priority found in all Olympus cameras (ie, allows camera to fire without waiting for focus confirmation)?

12. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Nope, doesn't work. Only thing that works is to repeatedly press the shutter button, which if course makes it slower than the regular burst mode

13. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Same thing with the GH1 and FL-36.

Not that I take a lot of burst shots, since it's not fast enough for what I would use it for. I just aim for the one great frame :)

Would be nice if it worked though… Might even buy a olympus body for the added flash compatibility…

14. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Sounds like it might be. Basically, you press the shutter halfway down (like how you would normally focus) and it takes a picture.

Doesn't work for my style. Maybe for manual shooters?

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    When I do use AF I use the back-button... so this wouldn't apply to me at all. ;) Any advantage gained from Release Priority or such is totally lost on a back-button user who already gains all those advantages with independent control of the AF button.

16. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

oh yes. I was really mad when I found that and many other common missing features / bugs.... LOL
    Here is some if you want to add more to the list: [LINK]

17. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I use the back button for AF too. I just tried the half press shutter - it's pretty cool since it require a very light touch. Reminds me of an Olympus XA. I could see it helpful in slow shutter speed situations where camera shake could blur an image or where split-second timing is critical. It may end up being more useful than many think. I may keep it on because there aren't any real downsides.

don't blame me, my iPhone sent this