1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question on a Macro lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by will_f, Sep 4, 2013.

1. will_f

will_f Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2013
    I bought an Olympus OM 50mm macro lens (+ adapter) to put on my PEN epl3. My question is a pretty simple one: will it perform like a 100mm macro or a 50mm one?

Thanks,

Will

2. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    It will offer a 100mm field of view in full frame terms.

3. will_f

will_f Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2013
    Thanks!

4. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Very sharp lens but focussing will be slower than native M43 lenses
    Regards
    Rob

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    This is true but your working distance at any given magnification ratio will still be that of a 50mm lens because that's what it is.

Fred

6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Now if one were to put a 2x teleconverter, it would give the same working distance as a 100mm macro, and the DoF would be the same (after the two stops were added for the TC), correct?

Aka, I have a regular 50mm lens, and a Vivitar macro teleconverter. Ignoring image quality, working distance and DoF would be the same as a 1-piece 100mm macro lens, correct?

7. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Yes, a 2x converter will make it a 100mm lens with the same distance for closest focusing. So double the magnification. The aperture will be two stops smaller than marked on the lens. F/2.8=f/5.6 The field of view will be approximately the same as 200mm on "full frame".

The Vivitar converter has enough extension to get a 50mm lens down to 1:1 when the lens is focused to infinity.

Fred

8. will_f

will_f Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2013
    I was wondering what would happen to the S1 dimension. Your responses forced me to go hit wikipedia and do a little math. Now that I have, I understand why the magnification and minimum focal distance remain the same even though the 35mm equivalent focal length doubled. Smaller sensor, smaller FOV for a given focal length. Hadn't really thought about adding a converter, but I guess I could. When the lens arrives I'll see if it's good enough at 50mm. I'm betting it is.

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I am not sure my question came across. What I am asking is "If I have a 50mm lens on the Vivitar Macro Teleconverter, set to 1:1 ratio, and the lens is set to f4, would it be the same picture (DoF, Angle of view, etc) as if I put on a 100mm Macro lens set to 1:1 and f8?" Everything I am thinking about mathematically says yes, but don't have a 100mm macro to check. If the 50mm close focuses to .45m and the 100mm Macro close focuses to .65m (made up these distances), would I then have a closer working distance on the 50mm, even with the TC?

BTW, the Vivitar only lets you get down to 1:1 on a 50mm lens when set to .5m focus, 1:1.5 at infinity. This is why it has the double scales on it.

10. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Yes, a 50mm on a 2x converter at f/4 actually becomes a 100mm at f/8. If both are set to a 1:1 reproduction ratio you will get the same image at the same distance. At 1:1 there is a two stop loss of light that in the old days had to be compensate for. With through the lens metering you don't have to worry about it.

With a teleconverter you increase your focal length while keeping the same close focusing distance. The Vivitar 2x macro also adds variable extension so closer focusing is possible.

I have the Vivitar converter from my film days. I've only given it a quick check on my G2 and wasn't too impressed with the results. If you don't already have one I wouldn't recommend it. You would do better with a high quality achromatic close-up diopter. The diopter could be used on your modern lenses as well as legacy lenses. Marumi makes both a +3 and a +5 achromat. I've been using the +3 mostly on the Panasonic 45-200 with good results. The results when stopped down a bit and the auto focus make it my first choice for casual close-up use. I'll still go to a dedicated macro lens (or bellows set-up) on a tripod when I'm trying to be "serious".

Fred