1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

question for those using the 50-200 swd on the em1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Islesfan91, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    just picked up a used 50-200 swd for a good price and had spent a little bit of time testing it out on the em1 with the mmf-3 this weekend. indoors the focus is quite slow, which I was kind of expecting due to the low light. Are there any settings I need to change on the camera when using a 4/3 lens and the mmf-3? I just attached both and started shooting, but wasn't sure if I should be looking in the settings to make any changes

thanks in advance!

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Nope. A least none that come to mind. You should be able to attached them to the camera like any other lens and start using them.

AF on that lens can seem slow at times because it has a fairly large focus range and if it can not find focus (often when you go from one extreme of the focal length to the other so that the focus is initially very far off) it will rack all the way one way or the other looking. But if you are in the ball park, it should get focus quickly.

3. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    okay thank you, just thought I'd double check. I didn't expect it to focus as quickly as a native m43 lens, and it doesn't seem too bad. photos seem to look nice with it so will spend more time using it over the next couple weeks.

4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I don't shoot sports or action photography (toddlers on the run) and for me the 50-200mm SWD focuses great on the E-M1, even using it with the EC-14. I think if you don't shoot action the 43s' lenses (12-60mm too) will suit your E-M1 just fine.
    Bobby :coffee-30:

5. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    so far I'm impressed with the results, and not too terribly concerned about the slower focus indoors in dim light. I didn't want to pay for the 40-150 f2.8 so I was aware I'd have to live with the slower af. after selling my 6d, 70-200f4l and 24-70 f2.8 lenses, I'm all in on m43 now :)

Using the 12-40 f2.8, 25mm f1.8, and now the 50-200 swd f2.8-3.5, with the sigma 60mm f2.8 on order and likely arriving near the end of the year.

I do also have the 40-150 f4-5.6, but I find that lens to be very disappointing to use. It’s great for the price, but the results weren’t making me happy.

I’ll get used to the 50-200 and for the price, I’m very happy with it so far

Now to see if there are any other 4/3 lenses that might be worth taking a look at!

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, note AF performance was improved in em1 firmware 2.x, so make sure you're at at least that.

Barry

7. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    All good, running 4.0, but I didn't know if there were firmware updates for the 4/3 lenses. I assumed not

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    There were updates for many of them, but none recent that I know of.
    Either way, the updater should see the lens on the E-M1/MMF-3 so it'll let you know.

Barry

9. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    I'll have to check that out tonight to make sure, I hadn't even thought about doing that but I should check it

even with slower af, I really like this lens so far.

10. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Pre-focus is your friend.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The things that I've found the work well are
    • Single focus target
    • Make sure face priority and pupil detection AF is off
    • Focus on items that have verticle or slanted lines, higher contrast is better
    • Above 150mm the lens may focus slower but very accuratly in dim light
    in my experiences with these settings the lens focuses nearly as fast as the 40-150mm f/2.8, with the difference extremely slight. The SWD lens has the extra capability of being able to use manual focus at anytime in any mode.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's right & with the mechanical AF linkage it is easy to pre focus when needed, but the other thing to remember with the 4/3's lenses on the E-M1 is that it is only using horizontal Phase Detection AF which needs vertical detail to work effectively & especially in low light.

13. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I can't speak to Clints' point about the comparison between the 50-200 SWD and 40-150 f/2.8 but I can say the four points he made are true for my copy of the 50-200 SWD, it's an awesome (over used hyperbole) lens.
    Bobby :coffee-30::coffee-30:
    PS, sometimes I angle the camera 45° if I'm having focus acquisition problems in low light and it seems to do the job. Then I lock focus and recompose.

14. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    Good to know, I'll try this and see how it goes, thanks!

15. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    Keeping the need for vertical lines to focus on is a huge thing. I can make Canon's top dslrs hunt endlessly by giving a single line phase point the wrong subject. Its pretty funny how predictably they work. If you give the camera what it needs to focus on, it works well.

The other thing to keep in mind...not critical...but maybe... is front and back focus at the wide and tele-end. Phase focus is not always accurate. On Dslrs I always had to adjust my cameras with a LensAlign unit. You take a bunch of pictures at different lens adjustment steps and then the software tells you which is the best and most correct. The E-M1 actually has lens adjustment settings for phase focus based lenses. Does nothing for the native contrast based lenses...but at long tele ends...making sure the focus is right where you intend might be something to look into.

J-Utility > AF Adjust > Lens Data

I know I had a couple points dialed in on the wide and tele end. This can be repeated and saved with the TC on too. Olympus even lets you adjust individual focus points. That is insane. I can't even imagine testing it for such.

16. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    focus looks accurate once it's locked on, it just seems to take a little while, especially in dim light. I haven't spent a lot of time with it yet so there's a good chance after I start using these tips I'll find it much faster

17. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
  18. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Excellent group of images that proves you have mastered this lens with and without the TC! Congratulations.
    Bobby :coffee-30:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  19. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ya, for any daytime outdoor sports the 50-200mm is fantastic. So for shooting such sports as baseball, football, lacrosse, and soccer during the day you can't go wrong with this lens.

The tricky ones are shooting indoor sports where the lighting is often very poor for photography such as hockey and basketball. With my old Oly dSLR models, the ISO performance was never good enough to allow fast enough shutter speeds without excessive ISO noise (although the E-5 might have been ok but I never owned that one). It wasn't until I moved to the E-M1 where I have really been able to shoot a lot more of my sons' hockey games using the 50-200mm with much better results (depending on the rink).