Question for the Techies " The X2 Standard"

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RenaudVL, Jun 24, 2015.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Hello Techies!

I am trying to find out if the Olympus EM-D line-up follow the X2 standard.

I am a serious astrophotographer and want to put my E-M10 to the test.
    To do a real test and compare it to the leading brand "Canon" I want to duplicate what I would do with my T3i and manage and automate my imaging session.

There are many software that allow for that using a Canon but none support Olympus.

The only software that claims to support many brand is The Sky X Pro with the Camera add on, but the camera must adhere to the X2 standard, which I don't have a clue if the OMD does...

Here is the link...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  2. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    First, Olympus supports remote control of their higher end cameras, the E-M1 and E-M5 mk II, via a program called Olympus Capture. Tethering of the E-M10 isn't supported.
    The next question to ask is: Does Olympus Capture allow control via an X2 plugin? I suspect it does not, since the feature isn't mentioned anywhere.

The Olympus people seem to want to support astrophotography based on features like the Live Time mode, but they aren't quite up to the really high end stuff yet. You might send them an email requesting that they update the Olympus Capture software to allow for external interfaces, but I think you will also have to move to a different camera body before you can use it.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Thank, I am testing the EM10 and the decide if it worth it to push this farther...