Question for TG-4 Owners

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Replytoken, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I picked up a TG-3 last year for a trip right before the TG-4 was introduced. I am normally a fan of shooting raw, and was not exactly pleased that the TG-3 did not have that as an option, but when I compared some sample files between the two at DPR, I was not that impressed in what the TG-4 raw files offered. I normally do not rely heavily on sample files when making purchases (usually because there is enough other information and actual feedback from users), but I have not heard from any TG-4 users about raw vs. jpeg. I have a trip coming up soon and I can take the TG-3 again, or I could try to sell it and upgrade to a TG-4 (reconditioned), for hopefully not too much out of pocket. Still, I am not sure that would net me much IQ gain, but it never hurts to ask. Any TG-4 users out there?

--Ken

2. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    I have a TG4, but I haven't had a TG-3 so I can't comment on the difference between the two, my previous rugged camera was a TG-1. I don't find the TG-4 raw files that impressive, but I fear that they just tell the ugly truth. The TG-4 sensor is small and noisy and the jpeg files hide this by having noise reduction turned up to eleven and no way to turn it off. I still like having the ability to shoot RAW, both because I get to choose how much (or rather how little) noise reduction I want, and because RAW gives me the option to save pictures that auto white balance for some reason got spectacularily wrong. When that happens on a JPEG-only camera there's no way to save the picture.

A few samples here. Normal daylight.
    P8300021.

Underwater, using the built-in flash.
    P9130026.

Here is ISO 1600. The other two pictures were taken at ISO 100.
    P8230043.

All images were, of course, processed from RAW.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1