Question for TG-4 Owners

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Replytoken, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I picked up a TG-3 last year for a trip right before the TG-4 was introduced. I am normally a fan of shooting raw, and was not exactly pleased that the TG-3 did not have that as an option, but when I compared some sample files between the two at DPR, I was not that impressed in what the TG-4 raw files offered. I normally do not rely heavily on sample files when making purchases (usually because there is enough other information and actual feedback from users), but I have not heard from any TG-4 users about raw vs. jpeg. I have a trip coming up soon and I can take the TG-3 again, or I could try to sell it and upgrade to a TG-4 (reconditioned), for hopefully not too much out of pocket. Still, I am not sure that would net me much IQ gain, but it never hurts to ask. Any TG-4 users out there?

--Ken

2. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    I have a TG4, but I haven't had a TG-3 so I can't comment on the difference between the two, my previous rugged camera was a TG-1. I don't find the TG-4 raw files that impressive, but I fear that they just tell the ugly truth. The TG-4 sensor is small and noisy and the jpeg files hide this by having noise reduction turned up to eleven and no way to turn it off. I still like having the ability to shoot RAW, both because I get to choose how much (or rather how little) noise reduction I want, and because RAW gives me the option to save pictures that auto white balance for some reason got spectacularily wrong. When that happens on a JPEG-only camera there's no way to save the picture.

A few samples here. Normal daylight.
    P8300021.jpg

Underwater, using the built-in flash.
    P9130026.jpg

Here is ISO 1600. The other two pictures were taken at ISO 100.
    P8230043.jpg

All images were, of course, processed from RAW.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.