Question for someone who has Oly. LC-37C Auto-Open Lens Cap.

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I used to have that on my old 14-42. And while I no longer have it and can’t verify with certainty, I feel there wasn’t enough clearance to allow for a filter to fit between the petals of the lens cap and the lens itself.

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
I have the JJC version on mine, and near as I can tell it’s using the 37mm filter to screw in to. I don’t see how I could have a filter and this lens cap work together unless I’m missing something, or the Oly version is different.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I used to have that on my old 14-42. And while I no longer have it and can’t verify with certainty, I feel there wasn’t enough clearance to allow for a filter to fit between the petals of the lens cap and the lens itself.
Thanks.

So this hood does not screw into the 37mm filter threads? I was hoping it would screw into the attached filter and operate that way. However, if it attaches some other way than screwing it into the 37mm threads, a filter might hinder it.

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It does screw into the filter threads, but it uses the lenses retraction/extension feature as it is powered on/off to trigger the petals to open and close. So when you power down, the lens retracts a given length, and that distance is what hits the cap just right to squeeze the petals closed. And then when you power up the lens extends and that releases the tension on the portion of the cap that will allow the petals to slip open. When you spin on a filter first and then the cap on the filter, you are changing the distance from the lens that the cap is positioned. That is what leads me to believe it won’t be the correct position and won’t trigger the open/close feature of the cap.

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think this video will help demonstrate it better than I could. You can see how the body of the lens is what triggers the closing as it retracts.

Go to YouTube, search for “Olympus LC-37C Auto Lens Cap cover for M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6...”

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
The JJC cap screws into the filter thread, which is recessed.

The operating tabs on the JJC work by contact with the outer edge of the lens.

It looks as if it should work, specially with a thin filter, but I don't think I have a 37mm filter to check.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
I used it on the Panasonic 12-32. It "might" close partially, but I'd be more surprised to find out it closes at all than that it doesn't close.

Latest threads

Top Bottom