Question for PRO Oly 12-40 & 40-150 Lens Owners Re Lens hoods

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Carbonman, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Yes, always

2. Never, it's a waste of time and makes the lens(es) bulky to carry

3. Only on the 40-150 PRO

4. Only on the 12-40 PRO

5. Depends what I'm shooting

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    How many of us do faithfully use the supplied lens hoods on their PRO series lenses?
    I haven't hauled the petal style hood for the 12-40 since about a week after getting the lens. I don't notice any untoward ill effects. What about those of you with the 40-150 PRO - is the hood always on or do you venture out without it?
    I've noticed the M43 lenses I use have very minor flare in any circumstance but am quite curious to hear what it's like with the big zoom.
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I can only comment on the 12-40 since thats what I have. I don't see why you wouldn't use the lens hood. It's reversible, provides extra protection and comes "free" with the lens. It's already a fairly large lens, adding the lens hood is relatively not going to add that much length to it. The only time I don't use use the hood, is when I have a polariser on and I need to constantly rotate the polariser

Btw I skip the lens hoods on some of my smaller lenses like the 17mm, 45mm and sometimes the 75mm
  3. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I use the hood on the 12-40, but leave the lens cap at home.
    The hood gives enough spacing to not having to worry about the front element touching anything in the bag.
    It's a pretty small hood, so it's effect on flare is probably pretty minimal.
  4. jbev

jbev Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 11, 2013
    Oak Lawn, IL
    The hood on the 40-150 is great. I love how you can just slide it forwards and backwards and provides plenty of protection. I can't imagine leaving it at home... Now I wish the 12-40 had an equally slick hood. :(
  5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I don't have either of the Olympus Pro lenses, but always do with my Nikons and I have hoods for every one of my m4/3 lenses.
  6. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    I don't see the rational of not using the included lens hood always. The hood included with the 12-40 is unobtrusive and weighs very little. And it never hurts to use it all the time.
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    The only thing I can see is the space they take in the bag. But the benefits out weigh that for me.
  8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Never on my Pany f2.8 zooms. They are useless on 12-35(40) and prevent me from changing lenses safely and quickly. The only exception will be torrential rain and 35-100mm or 75mm hood which can actually protect the front element.
  9. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    Not on the 12-40, it's only really going to be effective t 12mm. Now the 40-150 (which I don't have) has a hood similar to the Oly 60mm macro which slides along the front of the lens so that you can get maximum flare prevention depending on what magnification you're shooting. I would assume the 40-150 Pro hood would also be more effective that the 12-40mm. Primes are another story as their hoods are specifically designed to get the maximum flare protection for each specific lens.
  10. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Use all the time on my 12-40. A) its reversible and is pretty small so doesn't take much room. B) adds extra protection. C) looks cool!
  11. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    It's an old mans prerogative to change his mind. The 12-40 Pro does come with the hood for this lens and it would definitely provide more protection from bumps or falls to the front of the lens so I dug it out of my storage camera bag and have just put it on the lens.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  12. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    When reversed it's so small that I see no reasons to leave it a home. And I trust the olympus designer that there is a reason for it. Maybe it does more at 12mm, maybe only when shooting into the sun but why bother? I remove the cap and reverse the hood, I almost do not notice it.
  13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    The hood is very well designed to be available always.
  14. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

I use both these hoods.

The 12-40 is a permanent fixture. It's excellent. Locking and reversible for storage.

As for the 40-150. A slightly different story. I use the supplied one some of the time. Particularly in wet weather as its depth keeps the front element dry. However, when I'm using my B+W Kaesemann CPL, I mount that to the lens (obviously) and then a third party hood which protects the (equally expensive) filter and aids to rotate it for polarising.

15. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Some of the time, but that is because I am aware that it is not too secure a mounting and can easily get lost ... which is a pretty stupid reason for not using it as I might just as well risk losing it as not using it. I lost it once on a 4 hour hike in the middle of winter and found it on a return visit 2 weeks later 100 metres from where I had parked the car, it had dropped in a deep puddle and was visible as the puddle had dried out.
    • Funny Funny x 1