Question for PRO Oly 12-40 & 40-150 Lens Owners Re Lens hoods

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Carbonman, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Yes, always

74.5%
  2. Never, it's a waste of time and makes the lens(es) bulky to carry

4.3%
  3. Only on the 40-150 PRO

4.3%
  4. Only on the 12-40 PRO

10.6%
  5. Depends what I'm shooting

10.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    How many of us do faithfully use the supplied lens hoods on their PRO series lenses?
    I haven't hauled the petal style hood for the 12-40 since about a week after getting the lens. I don't notice any untoward ill effects. What about those of you with the 40-150 PRO - is the hood always on or do you venture out without it?
    I've noticed the M43 lenses I use have very minor flare in any circumstance but am quite curious to hear what it's like with the big zoom.

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I can only comment on the 12-40 since thats what I have. I don't see why you wouldn't use the lens hood. It's reversible, provides extra protection and comes "free" with the lens. It's already a fairly large lens, adding the lens hood is relatively not going to add that much length to it. The only time I don't use use the hood, is when I have a polariser on and I need to constantly rotate the polariser

Btw I skip the lens hoods on some of my smaller lenses like the 17mm, 45mm and sometimes the 75mm

3. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I use the hood on the 12-40, but leave the lens cap at home.
    The hood gives enough spacing to not having to worry about the front element touching anything in the bag.
    It's a pretty small hood, so it's effect on flare is probably pretty minimal.
    Rudy

4. jbev

jbev Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 11, 2013
    Oak Lawn, IL
    The hood on the 40-150 is great. I love how you can just slide it forwards and backwards and provides plenty of protection. I can't imagine leaving it at home... Now I wish the 12-40 had an equally slick hood. :(

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I don't have either of the Olympus Pro lenses, but always do with my Nikons and I have hoods for every one of my m4/3 lenses.

6. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    I don't see the rational of not using the included lens hood always. The hood included with the 12-40 is unobtrusive and weighs very little. And it never hurts to use it all the time.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The only thing I can see is the space they take in the bag. But the benefits out weigh that for me.

8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Never on my Pany f2.8 zooms. They are useless on 12-35(40) and prevent me from changing lenses safely and quickly. The only exception will be torrential rain and 35-100mm or 75mm hood which can actually protect the front element.

9. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    Not on the 12-40, it's only really going to be effective t 12mm. Now the 40-150 (which I don't have) has a hood similar to the Oly 60mm macro which slides along the front of the lens so that you can get maximum flare prevention depending on what magnification you're shooting. I would assume the 40-150 Pro hood would also be more effective that the 12-40mm. Primes are another story as their hoods are specifically designed to get the maximum flare protection for each specific lens.
    Bobby

10. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Use all the time on my 12-40. A) its reversible and is pretty small so doesn't take much room. B) adds extra protection. C) looks cool!

11. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    It's an old mans prerogative to change his mind. The 12-40 Pro does come with the hood for this lens and it would definitely provide more protection from bumps or falls to the front of the lens so I dug it out of my storage camera bag and have just put it on the lens.
    Bobby

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  12. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    When reversed it's so small that I see no reasons to leave it a home. And I trust the olympus designer that there is a reason for it. Maybe it does more at 12mm, maybe only when shooting into the sun but why bother? I remove the cap and reverse the hood, I almost do not notice it.

13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The hood is very well designed to be available always.

14. I use both these hoods.

The 12-40 is a permanent fixture. It's excellent. Locking and reversible for storage.

As for the 40-150. A slightly different story. I use the supplied one some of the time. Particularly in wet weather as its depth keeps the front element dry. However, when I'm using my B+W Kaesemann CPL, I mount that to the lens (obviously) and then a third party hood which protects the (equally expensive) filter and aids to rotate it for polarising.

742fda44a5c5e3021dc35c3cec5b4a85.

15. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Some of the time, but that is because I am aware that it is not too secure a mounting and can easily get lost ... which is a pretty stupid reason for not using it as I might just as well risk losing it as not using it. I lost it once on a 4 hour hike in the middle of winter and found it on a return visit 2 weeks later 100 metres from where I had parked the car, it had dropped in a deep puddle and was visible as the puddle had dried out.

• Funny Funny x 1