1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question for photochromic spectacle wearers

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Aushiker, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    With summer coming on I am having a more noticeable problem using the EVF on my EM-1 with my glasses (spectacles) as my glasses are photochromic lenses (and transitional but the photochromic aspect is the issue).

I find that as the glasses darken I finding the image in the EVF darker and that it is getting difficult to discern focus, shadows, contrasts etc.

I have tried shooting without my glasses but I need to make a fair bit of adjustment to the EVF to get the focus back and then of course reverse that adjustment when I go back to using my glasses.

I have just realised I had EVF Auto Luminance on but will turn it off and try manual adjustment to the EVF to see if that helps. Is that the best option to at least minimising the issue or should I get a cheap pair of glasses without the photochromic lenses (off to Bali in a about three weeks volcano allowing, so can pick up a new set for a good price there if appropriate) or is there another option?

Curious to know if others have experienced this and what your solutions where if any.

Thanks in advance
    Andrew

2. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I don't have photochromic lenses but have a different pair of prescription sunglasses that I wear for cycling, hiking, etc. I find it nearly impossible to shoot while wearing them. I generally either put my sunglasses on the top of my head and shoot as best I can without glasses (using autofocus) or I just don't wear sunglasses. Either involves some amount of squinting and neither is ideal. Another alternative I sometimes use is a pair of clip-on sunglasses that go over my regular glasses. The style police sometimes protest about those, but I'm generally beyond worrying about that. Of course, where I live we have a lot more clouds and rain and less sun than you do, so these less than ideal compromises are probably less of an issue for me than for you.

3. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I use darkening lenses without problem. However my Costco fashion faux pas clip-ons are polarized which turn the viewfinder black

4. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    I tried adjusting the EVF brightness this morning but I don't think it helped much at all; a slight improvement possibly. @TwoWheels@TwoWheels I have tried just putting them on my head and using the autofocus but the image in the EVF is very blurry for me and I find quite off putting from a composition point of view.

I think I will either put up with it or get a cheap pair of clear glasses.

Thanks
    Andrew

5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I set my diopter to correct for my vision. I have a pair of reading glasses on an eye glass strap that I use for shooting for when I need to check something or make a change on the back screen my glasses are handy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I wear photochromatic progressives now, so need them to read the back of the camera and need sunglasses to stand the bright outdoors. I just adjusted the diopter for my vision without glasses and just slide the glasses down my nose a tad and can look through the viewfinder without removing them. Works like a charm.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    That might be a possibility ... I will give that a shot.

Andrew

8. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    One of the big reasons to go to an EVF.....Adjust the viewfinder to my dioptre and do 90% of work thru the viewfinder. Use prescription glasses to see the LCD screen if I have to.
    Have found people looking at me while I look thru the EVF reviewing photos when they think I am taking/composing a photo!!! ;))

• Agree Agree x 1