1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Question for Photo Mechanic Users

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Replytoken, May 24, 2019.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I need to change out my post processing workflow due to one of my main pieces of software no longer being supported. This is going to impact my workflow, and I was wondering if Photo Mechanic might be able to fill a few of the roles of the software I am replacing. What I would like to know is if PM can do the following in the following order:
    • rename photos with a custom date-based scheme
    • automatically create and place the renamed images in date-based folders following this folder naming scheme (yyyy-mm-dd) as sub folders under yyyy named top level folders
    • copy these renamed and newly foldered images to more than one drive (as an identical backup)
    I have looked at PM over the years, but their documentation always seems a bit overwhelming when I try to dig into the details. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ken

2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta

The answer is yes to all 3. Get a trial copy of PM6 and try the ingest dialog box. I import images to: yyyy/yyyy-mm-dd. I have my files renamed to the camera serial number - 4 digit sequence number. The reason for the camera serial number is I use two identical bodies and that prevents duplicate image names and would help if I found consistent problem with one body.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I probably will do the trial, but I need to make some hardware and software updates/changes first. I suspect that PM may be a nice front end for LR, but the one thing that FastStone has that I really like is the ability to compare up to four images at once. I believe that PM is limited to two.

--Ken

4. barry13

barry13 Mu-43.com Editor Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, you might also look at XnView MP... Shift-C will compare up to four images.
    It's fast, and free.

I'm not certain if it'll handle your import requirements, but you could ask on their forum.

5. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I can probably still use FastStone if I am culling a lot of similar images. But, it would have been nice if PM had that feature. As of late, I have been using FS for culling, but calling up FastRawViewer if I really need to check an image. Nice to have lots of tools, just wish they could be found in one package. Hey, a guy can dream.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.