Question for Photo Mechanic Users

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I need to change out my post processing workflow due to one of my main pieces of software no longer being supported. This is going to impact my workflow, and I was wondering if Photo Mechanic might be able to fill a few of the roles of the software I am replacing. What I would like to know is if PM can do the following in the following order:
  • rename photos with a custom date-based scheme
  • automatically create and place the renamed images in date-based folders following this folder naming scheme (yyyy-mm-dd) as sub folders under yyyy named top level folders
  • copy these renamed and newly foldered images to more than one drive (as an identical backup)
I have looked at PM over the years, but their documentation always seems a bit overwhelming when I try to dig into the details. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ken

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I need to change out my post processing workflow due to one of my main pieces of software no longer being supported. This is going to impact my workflow, and I was wondering if Photo Mechanic might be able to fill a few of the roles of the software I am replacing. What I would like to know is if PM can do the following in the following order:
  • rename photos with a custom date-based scheme
  • automatically create and place the renamed images in date-based folders following this folder naming scheme (yyyy-mm-dd) as sub folders under yyyy named top level folders
  • copy these renamed and newly foldered images to more than one drive (as an identical backup)
I have looked at PM over the years, but their documentation always seems a bit overwhelming when I try to dig into the details. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ken

The answer is yes to all 3. Get a trial copy of PM6 and try the ingest dialog box. I import images to: yyyy/yyyy-mm-dd. I have my files renamed to the camera serial number - 4 digit sequence number. The reason for the camera serial number is I use two identical bodies and that prevents duplicate image names and would help if I found consistent problem with one body.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
The answer is yes to all 3. Get a trial copy of PM6 and try the ingest dialog box. I import images to: yyyy/yyyy-mm-dd. I have my files renamed to the camera serial number - 4 digit sequence number. The reason for the camera serial number is I use two identical bodies and that prevents duplicate image names and would help if I found consistent problem with one body.
I probably will do the trial, but I need to make some hardware and software updates/changes first. I suspect that PM may be a nice front end for LR, but the one thing that FastStone has that I really like is the ability to compare up to four images at once. I believe that PM is limited to two.

--Ken

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
I probably will do the trial, but I need to make some hardware and software updates/changes first. I suspect that PM may be a nice front end for LR, but the one thing that FastStone has that I really like is the ability to compare up to four images at once. I believe that PM is limited to two.

--Ken
Hi, you might also look at XnView MP... Shift-C will compare up to four images.
It's fast, and free.

I'm not certain if it'll handle your import requirements, but you could ask on their forum.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Hi, you might also look at XnView MP... Shift-C will compare up to four images.
It's fast, and free.

I'm not certain if it'll handle your import requirements, but you could ask on their forum.
I can probably still use FastStone if I am culling a lot of similar images. But, it would have been nice if PM had that feature. As of late, I have been using FS for culling, but calling up FastRawViewer if I really need to check an image. Nice to have lots of tools, just wish they could be found in one package. Hey, a guy can dream.

--Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom