1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question for Panasonic 100-300mm users

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by WT21, May 20, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I got a used P100-300, and I note it gets just a bit "sticky" getting to/from 300mm. It's not a huge deal, and it is a big zoom element that it's pushing in/out. If I hold the lens vertical, there's no issue. Only when horizontal.

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same, or if you're finding the zoom buttery smooth throughout the range?

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I had a review sample and now bought one of my own. Neither had what I would call buttery smooth zooming action. I'll check about that particular part of the range later.

• Like Like x 1
  3. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Mine started sticky, but has smoothed out with use. I don't notice it at all now when I zoom.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rijesh

rijesh Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Mine is the same way. I don't notice it all the time. It isn't as bad if you have it at a slightly more vertical angle.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    There was another thread where this came up and the conclusion was the lens is sticky to begin with (I couldn't make small adjustments on mine), but like others have reported mine has smoothed over time, although I don't think it's ever going to have a luxuriously smooth action.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Mine is smoother or stickier in various different points in its zoom travel. A cheap-feeling touch to an otherwise decent lens.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Same experience. Reviews at BH noted this issue. When the lens arrived the stiff zooming was more than what I expected. The lens has loosened up with use. Not silky smooth, but ok. Hopefully will not continue to loosen up to the point it becomes a self-zooming lens due to gravity.