Question for PADers

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by BillN, Mar 24, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    PADers - the images we post are in the Gallery - so can be seen by all, including non registered members

I regard our Blog as being a little more "intimate" than the open forum

Do you think that it would be a good idea if the Blog tab could only be seen by registered members

What do you think!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Bill,

personally, I think we need to keep the PAD Project as open as possible... to encourage new blood into the group - it's nice to get to know people and see how they progress, and the experience of established PAD bloggers such as yourself is essential in helping new people along the path.

We definitely do not want it to become a closed clique though, that would kill the energy I think.

The slightly kludgy navigation is enough to put off most casual viewers... which is nice to give a sense of intimacy, and only registered members can make comments anyhow.

I also maintain a simple PAD Gallery of my work both here and in my pbase gallery.

You raise a good question, and I'd like to hear others' perspective too.

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  3. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I'm with Brian. I wouldn't have joined if mu-43 had looked like a closed circle of like-minded people, and I wouldn't have joined the PAD project if I hadn't felt welcomed to look at others images beforehand. I really like it the way it is.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Don't forget, our blog system is for anyone who would like to maintain a blog here, not just for PAD projects. Being viewable by the public is part of the main point of having a blog for many people.

Each member who uses our blogging system has the option to make their blogs visible only to contacts, only to contacts and other mu-43 members, or to everyone including unregistered guests. Those options are in the blog control panel, so Mu-43 bloggers can control those factors on an individual basis.

• Like Like x 8
  5. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Admin

that's great - that solves it - parental controls for grown ups

Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Good questions to raise Bill and very helpful replies.

I have no issues with my photographic attempts being open to the public - at least at this point...when I have to worry about copyright I might change my mind.:wink::tongue:

In all seriousness, I think Amin's outlining the controls is important.:thumbup:

"Parental controls for adults.":biggrin:

7. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I was not talking about the images

as i said they are available in the Gallery

What I was referring to was the narrative content of the PAD and some of the "banter" that we, sorry I, get up to

8. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I don't post to the gallery... Maybe I'm just lazy but I use my flickr for family fun stuff and slowly building my zenfolio site.... I'd rather link than go to through the hassle of linking within the gallery..

9. BBW

Oh, I see. I misunderstood. Have you begun to feel you must control yourself a bit more?

P.S. I have begun to use flickr more only because I feel I don't want to load up the gallery with every single photo... I've been torn since Brian kind of likes us to use the galleries...

10. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    What's all this obsession with control? is it the black straps? :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  11. BBW

Soon I shall not be sporting the ubiquitous "black strap" as my expensive one arrived.:rofl:

12. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    he is worried his wife will learn about his "creative" side.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    no it's not about all that

it's about the invitations I keep getting from complete strangers now that Brian has made me "famous" with his PAD stuff

once they read my blog, it's Bingo - I have had to say "no" to Natasha from Russia three times

• Like Like x 2
  14. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Bill, you need to have less self discipline, I'm not sure the PAD is good for you.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  15. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    Please tell Natasha I said "hi."

• Like Like x 2