1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Question for Oly 12-40mm lens owners

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by doboy, Aug 22, 2014.

1. doboy

doboy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    I just received my refurb 12-40mm yesterday and noticed that the manual focus mode allows focus closer than 0.2m and goes past infinity mark. It seems I can focus closer using the manual mode than AF mode. Is this normal? Thanks in advance.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    That's what I've read.
    Haven't really tried it on mine though.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

3. doboy

doboy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    Thanks. I can't believe no one knows for sure. I guess I can give tech support a call next week.

4. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    I have the lens, but have not tried it in that regard. It sure does allow a near macro capability. Just curious why it would matter if it does or not?

5. doboy

doboy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    I'm just trying to confirm if the manual focus ring goes below 0.2m mark and above the infinity mark in manual focus mode. I'm trying to make sure my lens isn't "broken" since it was Oly refurb. Thanks.

6. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Yes it does and it's by design. The contrast detect autofocus method used in MFT cameras requires the lens to be able to overshoot the target focus to see that the image gets "worse". Therefore the range has to be a bit wider.
    However there is not really a good reason to make this extra range available in manual focus especially on the infinity side as it prevents the user from blindly going to the end of range to get to infinity (for star light pictures for example).
    So the real reason might be to allow for some manufacturing tolerances in which case the distance markers would be off on some lenses.
    In any case, what you see is normal.
    Rudy

• Like Like x 2
  7. doboy

doboy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    Thanks for the explanation. :2thumbs: So can you even rely on the infinity mark on the lens?

8. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    On mine it's right on the mark, but I would check if that's important to you.
    Rudy

• Like Like x 1
  9. doboy

doboy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    I'm out shooting with it now and it seems mine also lines up well with the infinity marking.

10. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    How does one check that?

11. doboy

doboy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    All I did was manually focus on far away object with magnification view and checked the making to see if it lined up with the infinity mark.

• Like Like x 1