1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question for Hexanon 50mm f1.7 owners

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by LukeM43, Feb 16, 2013.

1. LukeM43

LukeM43 New to Mu-43

Feb 16, 2013
    Hello, I have a question about the Hexanon 50mm f1.7 for other owners.

I just bought one and noticed that even when set for f1.7, the aperture blades are still visible. You can see them in the attached photo.

I opened the lens up but wasn't able to find anything that seemed like it could adjust the aperture slider.

Is seeing the blades at wide open on this lens normal?

Attached Files:

2. Teefin1

Teefin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    Hi, I have this lens and wide open there is no visible sign of the aperture blades.

3. Gurin

Gurin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    Sweden
    Mine goes to wide open without any blades showing. But I do not have the same version. Mine is not silver tipped.

Mine is a nice lens.

4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    This is certainly not normal, it looks like the lens is stopped down to f/2.4. The diaphragm leaves should move when you operate the aperture ring or the lever at the rear of the lens, otherwise the lens is defective.

5. LukeM43

LukeM43 New to Mu-43

Feb 16, 2013
    Thank you all for posting your information. I thought I'd follow up today with the results of some testing I did.

I jammed the aperture wide open with a fold of paper and took test shots. Several things I noticed.

1. The lens isn't as consistently sharp as when shooting at f2.4 or whatever my stuck "wide-open" setting is. I think I'm shooting in focus using the focus-peeping, but photos still come out looking kinda soft at the focus point. Occasional shots are however perfectly sharp.

2. Under certain lighting conditions wide open the photos get an interesting "haze" or "glow", almost a fake-looking dreaminess. Unsure if I like it. It's not always reproducible.

3. Blown-out highlights have a purple fringe near the borders.

attachment.php?attachmentid=14615&thumb=1.jpg

After removing the paper, I shot with the aperture at f2.4 "wide-open" and got consistently sharper results. The glow was gone.

attachment.php?attachmentid=14614&thumb=1.jpg

I think I'll keep it since I would probably have stopped it down anyway to get consistent sharpness.

Attached Files:

6. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    that about sums up my Hex 50 at f/1.7! Well, points 1 and 2 anyway. I can't say I noticed any purple fringing, but I can't say I was looking out for it either.

In this regard, I preferred my old Oly OM 50mm. It was sharper wide open but overall the hex was marginally sharper stopped down a little so I kept the hex and offloaded the OM. I would have kept both, but I thought it'd make a sale of my old E-PL1 easier if I included the OM.

The haze/softeness is quiet obvious even through the LCD at times (using focus assist).

7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I'd recommend shooting with a hood for legacy lenses (actually, for all lenses). A nice deep hood will cut down on incidental light coming across the glass and contributing to the haze/washed-out effect. But it's true that wide-open a lot of older lenses do give a kind of "glow." Stopping down a little bit will help.

By the way, the Hexanon 50/1.7 is easy enough to find - no sense in putting up with one that has stuck aperture blades like that.

8. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
  9. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Good that your 50/1.7 is giving great results stopped down. Lens hood makes a big difference. Mine is the best version with 1/2 stops and closer minimum focus. But they're all brilliant.