1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question for GM5 owners

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by timinsingapore, Jun 3, 2016.

1. timinsingapore

timinsingapore Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 17, 2014
    I have a GX7. I want a backup body plus a second body to minimise lens changing in the field. I love small cameras.

For me, an eye-level viewfinder in essential. Non-negotiable. Would the small viewfinder of the GM5 drive me nuts?

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    How small do you need? Perhaps the new GX85/80 might be a better choice if size is not as important as the EVF? Or another GX7? They are not too expensive on the used market.

--Ken

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    It's not to small for me. But it's not an essential, non-negotiable item for me.

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    It works just fine after you get used to it. At first I thought it was tiny but it's perfectly serviceable in reality.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    If you want a good viewfinder, I'd be concerned that you wouldn't like the one in the gm5. I find it fairly small and like. I tend to use the lcd instead. It's nice to have it for those occasions when it's too bright for lcd, or you want more stability

6. timinsingapore

Oct 17, 2014
    Thanks all. I guess it all depends on how tolerant you are of small viewfinders. The only solution is to find one in a shop that I can look through, but I have found it quite difficult even here in Singapore to find an outlet that stocks the GM5. I'll keep trying. One 'problem' is that I have been spoilt by the excellent VF in the X30, so my standards in this area may be a bit higher than they should be.

7. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    In my use I would sum it up as: "When I cannot use the LCD because of sunlight then I use the EVF for rough composition", in other words: I find it too tiny to be used all the time.

Unless you absolutely want to minimize weight (e.g. tramping, climbing) get something bigger.

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Might be the same as the one on the new DMC-TZ / ZS 100, you might find them easier.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hans Nikesch

Hans Nikesch New to Mu-43

May 6, 2016
    Michigan
    Hans Nikesch
    The finder is why I got the GM5 and I wouldn't be without it. I wanted better IQ then my S100 walk around camera and it delivers

Hans

10. BosseBe

BosseBe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Since I need reading glasses and don't usually use them when out and about I find the GM5 perfect as my everyday camera as I can change the diopter(?) value of the EVF. So I almost always use the EVF and it works for me.

/Bosse

11. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I bought a GM5 for exactly the reason you mention - as a 2nd body to minimize lens changes in the field (my primary camera is an E-M10). It is perfect for this, IMHO. As far as the viewfinder, I agree with you that it is essential. I like the VF on the GM5 fine, and use it just about all the time - even when it ISN'T too sunny to see the LCD screen on the back. It is a little small, but you get used to it and it is fine, IMHO.

12. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    It's small but good. I use it to focus manual glass semi regularly.

I much prefere the gx7's larger viewfinder for this task, but the gm5 is servicable.

Put your gx7 into 1:1 aspect ratio, look through the VF with your eye a few mm back from the VF, and you have a good idea of the width of the gm5 VF image in when in 4:3 mode (the native ratio of the gm5 VF)

13. timinsingapore

Oct 17, 2014
    Thanks everyone for the further replies. My search for a GM5 in local shops continues, so I can look through the hole. Incidentally I do wish that manufacturers and retailers would find some consistent way of expressing the size of a viewfinder image (which is more important than magnification, which will vary with sensor size), and also eye point. Both of these are essential info if you are to compare one camera with another.

Actually I am coming round to the thought that eye point is more important than size or magnification. As important, anyway.

14. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I think you should ask yourself another question (while you are quoting yourself! ;) ) - is there another m4/3 body available that is even close to being as small as the GM5 that also has a viewfinder at all? I don't think there is. I mean, for example, the GM1 does not have one. There are tradeoffs in life, you know. :)