1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Question for E-Pl5 Owners

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nylife, Nov 7, 2012.

1. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    Just got my EPL5 and find one things weird and it maybe just me, as i am coming from panasonic g3.
    on my g3, i had multiple AF boxes so if i am taking a picture of a building it would have 4-5-6 little green boxes as it focused.

On Epl no matter what setting i try it is always just 1, am i missing something?

2. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    You can set it to choose its focus from the full set of focus targets, a group of the focus targets of your choice (like the several boxes on your G3) or just, as by default, one specific focus target.
    I think you can access this choice in the Super Control Panel. See page 84 of the manual - it's section 15 of the Panel. Select the focus points section and you can tap the screen on the black on the left to switch between all focus targets and one - I'm not sure how to select a group.

3. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    Correct, you refering to [​IMG]

and mine is set to full set of target, but when you press the shutter button it is always a single green box that comes up instead of multiple.

4. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Aha - worked it out.
    The clue, if you hadn't looked at the manual, is when you select the focus point choice through the SPC in the bottom left it says 'info'. Press info when you see the multi-grid - then you go up and down through the choices to set what you want.

5. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    I have done all that, and see all the choices and i always select all targets, but its still only focuces on the single target/box. something is weird, would you mind focusing on something that shows multiple boxes and take a picture of with your cell phone or other camera?
    before i go crazy and try to call olympus on the 3 day old camera

6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    If you have chosen something other than one point focus then when you focus to take the photo it shows you the focus point it has chosen. It doesn't show you all the focus points from which it makes a choice (which is good because it's not cluttering up the view with green lines - and telling you where it is focusing is good to know).
    Try choosing the group setting and you will see when you focus to take the shot what is happening.

7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Only one focus point can be used for focusing. The camera is showing which focus point it picked. This way you know what the camera actually focused on.

8. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    ok, thank you so i was not going crazy.
    Panasonic and my Nikons used to show multiple green boxes when focusing on lets say a building, Olympus only shows a single box, even though 35 points are available.

9. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    Bring this thread back, I have a question regarding focus points. Do most people chose a single focus point in the middle or do you highlight all the boxes? When would be a good time to use one focus point over all focus points?

10. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I use a single focus point and place it on my subject, so it may not, and generally isn't in the middle. The touch screen works very well for this.

In all focus points the camera tries to figure out what the subject is. I find it to be almost useless.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    I agree

I agree with b Rubinstein that the multi sensor focus is not usually useful and I use single point or the touch screen. The touch screen focusing is a revelation. Very effective!

12. ps2br

ps2br Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2012
    Hello guys, I have a newbie question, starting now with format m4 / 3 and have a question, I'm using the E-PL5 in Aperture Priority always in 1.8, I started taking pictures yesterday and did not notice this detail probably because it was cloudy and without sun, as I take another picture today with this configuration (aperture 1.8) and with plenty of sun light, I realized that everywhere I would take a picture with too much light for sky or white wall image pops to white, for example the photo below, is this normal?

Sorry for the dumb question and for my bad english, hehe.

Aperture f/8.0
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/87395135@N08/8323149808/" title="P1010210 por ps2br, no Flickr"> 8323149808_3a9899d175_z. "640" height="480" alt="P1010210"></a>

Aperture f/1.8
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/87395135@N08/8322087845/" title="P1010211 por ps2br, no Flickr"> 8322087845_94395d55f2_z. "640" height="480" alt="P1010211"></a>

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Looking at the exif data for picture #2, your shutter speed was maxed at 1/4000. To shoot directly into the sky at ƒ1.8, you'll need a neutral density filter. :smile:

14. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Yes, a neutral would avoid over exposure, but the question is why do you shoot everything at f1.8? Shooting a lens wide open give a shallow depth of field (for relatively close subjects; not clouds) for a particular look to an image, but using it for every image is like putting ketchup on everything you eat.

15. ps2br

ps2br Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2012
    Hello guys, thank you, I was always the user point to shot cameras, this my first good camera, I'm learning slowly, hehe.

Showed example of sky, but it was happening to other situations, so I asked.

But I'm loving the camera, the quality of the photos are excellent.

Thanks,
    Mauricio - Brazil

16. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Notice the 1/4000 is flashing when this happens indicating the picture is over exposed,hence the white out pic.