Question for E-PL2 (or other PEN users) who have the 20/1.7 pancake!

taz98spin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hey everybody,

So I finally got myself the Panny 20mm f/1.7 Pancake Lens & really like it so far!

However, I have 2 questions.

For in-body stabilization, which focal length did you guys select?

My E-PL2 for some reason does not have 20mm as an option. It's either 21mm, or 18mm. :confused:

Also, when I'm taking a photo of an object or person close by, the focus is dead on and fast!

However, when I am away from the subject, the focus keeps switching between the person and the background behind it, thus sometimes I only have the background in focus, and the person is out of focus..

So which focus method should I put my camera into?

Please let me know! Thank you! :smile:

ssgreenley

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Re: question 1, for native lenses you don't have to manually input a length, the micro 4/3 system automagically knows. For question 2, what kind of light are you shooting in?

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Hey everybody,

So I finally got myself the Panny 20mm f/1.7 Pancake Lens & really like it so far!

However, I have 2 questions.

For in-body stabilization, which focal length did you guys select?

My E-PL2 for some reason does not have 20mm as an option. It's either 21mm, or 18mm. :confused:

The Lumix 20mm f/1.7 is a Micro Four-Thirds lens, and you will not have to manually choose a focal length for IS. Just use IS.1, IS.2, or IS.3 as appropriate. The manual focal length option is for legacy lenses, not Micro Four-Thirds or Four-Thirds.

Also, when I'm taking a photo of an object or person close by, the focus is dead on and fast!

However, when I am away from the subject, the focus keeps switching between the person and the background behind it, thus sometimes I only have the background in focus, and the person is out of focus..

So which focus method should I put my camera into?

Please let me know! Thank you! :smile:

Use a Single Point (go to Menu, Sprocket, AF/MF, AF Area) to avoid this problem, then you can choose either the center point or any of the other points on the grid, using the Focus Area Selection button [...]. You can also use the Close-Up button (the magnifying glass) to activate the green box and move that your focus point precisely anywhere on the screen. Adjusting the size of that box (Info Button, then turn the dial) will also adjust the size of the focus area, so the smallest 14x box will give you the most accurate pin-point focus. Hitting the Close-Up button again will magnify for Manual Focus.
This is more precise but of course not as quick and convenient as the grid of big boxes you can access with the [...] (focus point selection) button.

taz98spin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Re: question 1, for native lenses you don't have to manually input a length, the micro 4/3 system automagically knows. For question 2, what kind of light are you shooting in?

Oh thanks for the quick reply!

As of question 2, I was in bright sunny day time lighting.

Use a Single Point, whether center point or any of the other points on the grid, using the Focus Area Selection button [...] (go to Menu, Sprocket, AF/MF, AF Area). You can also use the Close-Up button (the magnifying glass) to activate the green box and move that green box around anywhere on the screen. Adjusting the size of that box (Info Button, then turn the dial) will also adjust the size of the focus area, so the smallest 14x box will give you the most accurate pin-point focus. Hitting the Close-Up button again will magnify for Manual Focus.
This is more precise but of course not as quick and convenient as the grid of big boxes you can access with the [...] (focus point selection) button.

Thank you for your help!! :thumbup:

Latest threads

Top Bottom