1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question for E-P5 owners

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bipinsnair, Aug 10, 2015.

1. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Can someone confirm whether E-P5 has a small target focus point (small focus box rather than a big one) like the E-M5 ?
    E-M5 originally did not have this and was added through a firmware update.
    Just wondering how it is on the E-P5.

Also, any word on a E-P5 replacement in the near future ?

Thanks for your time and appreciate any info you can share on this.

2. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Yes, the E-P5 lets you use a small target for autofocus.

I haven't heard anything about an E-P7 or whatever.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Yes, I have mine set like that by default.
    I don't think there will ever be a new version, it was not successful. (Perhaps price too high for no viewfinder.)
    I got mine very cheap, new, from Korea. I suspect they are selling them off.

4. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Thank you so much for confirming.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    It does, but still the 35 point and not the newer 81 points of the E-M1 / E-M10 / E-PL7.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Thanks, I think the old E-M5 also has just 35.

7. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    I have a follow up question now that I got my E-P5.
    The firmware version on the camera shows 1.2
    By looking online, I see that there are several updates (I think 1.6 is the latest).

Question is, is it worth upgrading the firmware to 1.6 ? Does it break anything ?

Appreciate any experience you can share.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    There's no harm in upgrading the firmware unless in the very rare case something goes wrong during the update process.

If anything, you should upgrade from v1.2 to get 0-second anti shock setting which was introduced in v1.4. However, v1.4 I believe introduced a bug with the display information not changing during shooting which was resolved with v1.5. The latest v1.6 is just an update if you own the 40-150/2.8 lens.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Thanks. That is what worried me. I read somewhere that firmware introducing another bug.

Does the update have to be incremental. ie; 1.2 to 1.3 and then to 1.4 and so on ?
    OR
    Just get the latest one (1.6) and apply just that and skip all the interim ones ?

10. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    You should be fine just updating with the latest v1.6. In any case, when you run Olympus Digital Camera Updater, it'll advise you which firmware it will be installing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
  12. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Still my favourite camera.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You need v1.5 - that's the one with EFCS and the silly display bug fixed. EFCS is vital - Chances are you won't get a sharp shot without it ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Just curious -How cheap and where did you order it from? Thanks!

15. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    After the release of several additional, more feature µ43's cameras (especially the Panny GX8) i would think the price on the E-P5 would drop more than it has. B&H still sells the body only for $800! :eek-31:

16. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    You only need EFSC with in certain shutter speeds, plenty of good images shot at other shutter speeds. EP5 is a classic and I am sure I will continue to use it after my Gx8 gets here tomorrow:) I would not buy a camera without 4k video/image today - that's why I went Gx8 and not Em5II.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    I got mine about 10 days back or so and the kit with 17mm and VF4 was selling at about 1100 (may not be exact, but around that price)or so at all major places like Amazon, B&H etc. One or two days later the price went back up to $1249. Body only was 699 I believe and now it is back to 799.

18. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    I haven't noticed any blurriness so far and mine is still in firmware 1.3 or something (as it came with camera). I haven't done any pixel peeping yet. So, there may be issues, but I haven't noticed yet.

19. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You'll definitely find blurring/double images for shots taken in the 1/80th to 1/200th sec range. The extent will vary by the lens used and the firmness of the camera hold/mount, but it'll be there for sure if you go looking hard enough.

20. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Agree, it looks classic. I always wanted one since it released, mainly for 1/8000 shutter speed and for the looks of this beauty.
    But, I have some issues (minor) with it. The edges on the back screen are too sharp and is very uncomfortable to hold (for me).
    I prefer the e-m5 lcd. Since I used E-M5, I also accidentally turn the mode dial instead of the control dial in the back (just a matter of getting used to ). I know a lot of people did not like the buttons on E-M5. But after using the clicking buttons in EP5, I like E-M5's button better and overall handling is also better with E-M5 for me.

But I really enjoy the fast shutter, wifi feature and the looks of the camera. Without the VF4 attached, it is really a beautiful looking camera and takes great pictures.