Question for DXO Photo lab 2 users.

billca

Mu-43 Regular
I process my raw, use the histogram clipping indicators and see no clipping of any kind. Convert to full size jpeg, quality 100, or 8bit tiff. review in DXO ( no correction applied )
and I have some clipping. Usually clipped colours.
Is this normal.

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
Yeah... I would expect this. DxO is showing you clipping info based on the 12-bit raw file. When you export it to an 8-bit file you're going to get some loss (but I would assume this would be negligible).

billca

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks. Just converted to 16b bit TIFF. Still there but less of it.
I've been out for over a decade, so way behind on my digital processing skills.
Thinking of getting a print made and I'm not sure if all these little coulor clipping specs will screw thing up or not.

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
I know of a number of fine art printers that prefer 16-bit tiff files, but I have never used them. My 8-bit JPEG files look fine. But with that said, if you don't use a reasonably high quality monitor that has been calibrated with a colorimeter, you may be disappointed with your prints, no matter the bit depth.

billca

Mu-43 Regular
I know of a number of fine art printers that prefer 16-bit tiff files, but I have never used them. My 8-bit JPEG files look fine. But with that said, if you don't use a reasonably high quality monitor that has been calibrated with a colorimeter, you may be disappointed with your prints, no matter the bit depth.
Yeah, I realize that, I've played around with gamma and a few other programs, but it's not fully calibrated.
I guess I'll find out how far out it is when I have a print made.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom