1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question for Capture One users (optical corrections)

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by SojiOkita, Jun 12, 2015.

1. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Hello everyone.

I'm trying Capture One 8.3 as a raw processor for my E-M10 and GM1 files.

There is an issue with my E-M10 body: C1 doesn't take into account manufacturer optical corrections.
    It works fine with the GM1 (I can select "manufacturer" and then choose the percentage of correction I want), but nothing for the E-M10.
    Only a few lenses are supported...

Is anybody with the E-m10 using Capture One?
    I'm quite surprised this is not supported, considering the E-M10 is not a new body, and that C1 knows how to handle micro fourd thirds corrections (it works with the GM1).

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Which lens are you using on the E-M10 that doesn't get corrected? BTW, I don't think Panasonic lenses are corrected for distortion on Olympus bodies (as far as I know). There are only 5 Panasonic lenses included but many Olympus lenses (25 & 2 x XZ lenses).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  3. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Panasonic lenses are corrected on Olympus bodies (for distorsion, at least).
    I think that is part
    The information is in the RAW files, as Lightroom and Rawtherapee are able to do the distorsion correction.

With my GM1 files, I can select "manufacturer correction" and all the lenses are taken into account (Panasonic and Olympus).
    With my E-M10 I can select correction only for a few lenses (9-18 for example).

4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    DxO will also do the optical corrections based on the lens info in the raw file. You can use DxO native or as a plugin to Lightroom.

5. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    In fact DxO uses its own distorsion correction (that are actually better than the manufacturers one).
    But I don't like DxO ;) even as a Lightroom plugin.

I am currently trying Capture One as an alternative to Lightroom and I'm trying to know if it can be used for my E-M10 files.
    If I can't get automatic distorsion correction... it won't be possible.
    The base distorsion is just too high if uncorrected on micro 4/3 lenses.

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Here are all the Olympus supported lenses.
    The E-M10 is on the supported list & there are 25 supported Olympus lenses, so it should show up. Capture One is pretty good with its raw conversion & detail, so I hope you can have success.

7. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    I have Olympus and Panasonic lenses and my "kit lens" is the 12-32 that is not supported. My 45-150 is not supported either.
    The 12-32 pictures are pretty unusable without correction.

I don't understand why the manufacturer's correction can be read by Capture One in Panasonic files, and not in Olympus files, as it is exactly the same correction.
    I would add that with my GM1, where I have the choice between "manufacturer profile" and the "capture one profile", the manufacturer profile gets better results for my taste (C1 profiles have an "overcorrected" look - I need to go down to 90% correction).

8. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
  9. sfmurph

sfmurph Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    San Francisco
    This sounds like a straight-up bug. Have you sent in a support ticket to Phase One? (http://support.phaseone.com/)
    There aren't that many cameras like m43 that have more than one "first party" lens maker. Sure Zeiss and Sony work together, but they're Sony's cameras in the end. Olympus and Panasonic are more independent of each other. (DFD and aperture rings only for all-panasonic, Panasonic's more restrictive on-sensor longpass filter for wavelengths close to 400 nm exposing purple flare when using some lenses on Olympus bodies, correcting CA artifacts for Panasonic but not (most?) Olympus cameras, etc.)

It sounds like something they could fix with some sample images.

10. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    I'll try to contact them.
    I think micro 4/3 is the only system that uses "standard" distorsion correction (the lenses are designed to be corrected, and the correction is made even in the viewfinder).

I tried with E-M1 and E-M5 files, the manufacturer correction isn't available either... so I'm not sure it's a bug.

I looked in metadata of the files.
    In Panasonic files, the distorsion info can be read with ExifView.
    In Olympus files, it's not the case. I suppose the information is somewhere though... (because Lightroom and Rawtherapee are able to make the correction).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015