Question for 12mm owners...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ssgreenley, Feb 19, 2012.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    So I'm planning on buying a house in a month and would like to be able to take photos to compare/consider after I've left the house. My question, is 12mm wide enough to take photos of room interiors? 14mm seems close but not quite adequate. I know this is ridiculously variable and subjective, but I'm looking for gut feelings from those of you who intimately know the 24mm fov.

I know there are other wide angle solutions; I'm also considering the Samyang (but am not sure how I'll defish without my computer). I'm worried the zooms will tempt me too much with composition when I really just need the same fov to better compare...
  2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    You may want to consider the lumix 7-14 as well, close in price to oly 12 and would give you the option to go wider. If it runs out nitto be be needed after your purchase easy enough to recoup most of your cost. One went up for sale here yesterday for $700, maybe what you need and saves you a few bucks. Also panny has there new wide angle add on coming, will make your 14 an 11 and should be way cheaper, if it's out in time.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    I personally think that 12 is wide enough without being a challenge with distortion. Being relatively narrow it forces you to consider the angles carefully and that might be good thing at the end. Of course Oly 9-18 would be cheaper and good optically at the same time (ugly as hell also) and Pana 7-14 being a king of them all and expensive.

And yes, Pana 14 is not suitable ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. b-bernd

b-bernd New to Mu-43

Dec 27, 2011
    The 12mm lens (aka 24mm for full frame) will be pretty useful indoors. I use the 15mm on my Pentax, that means almost the same angle of view, and in film days I had a 24/2.0 that I liked very much indoors and outdoors. Going wider can cause sort of distortion (because of the correction of the lens) when peoples heads or faces are at the borders of the pictures, so a fisheye can sometimes be more useful then.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I have found the Olympus 12mm f/2.0 to be quite acceptable for residential real estate interior photography. Coupled with my Panasonic GF1, I am able to capture wide enough images yet obtain an intimate feel of a room.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    Thanks! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear!
  7. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    If your 12mm isn't wide enough, you could shoot several images and stitch them into a panorama. That way, your 12mm will be wide enough for any room or view.
  8. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I just got the Panasonic 7-14 yesterday, and I've tried out a few shots at 7, 12 and 14 inside my place just now.

The 12 does give you a little wider FOV than 14, but nowhere close to 9 or 7. I wouldn't get the Olympus 12 just for house shopping. It is a great bright lens, but it's quite a lot of money for that use, on the upside f/2 will help with available light in the rooms. I was considering the 12mm because it's relatively fast, but when the price went from $709 to $799 I didn't hesitate about the 7-14, I really wanted to go wider than 12.

I'd seriously consider Samyang/Rokinon 7.5mm at less than half the price of the Olympus 12, or maybe the Olympus 9-18 which you can just leave at 9. For me it'd just be to remember the rooms, not necessarily to be able to discover new details, so fisheye wouldn't bother me...

Have you checked some interiors shots on Flickr? Flickr: Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 7-14mm/F4.0 ASPH and Flickr: Samyang 7.5mm f3.5 MFT Fisheye

That way the 14mm could just be used...
  9. gorilla

gorilla Mu-43 Rookie

May 5, 2010
    Does this lens auto focus on the GF1?
  10. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Yes, quite well.
  11. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    I design interior spaces and use the the 12mm a lot for that purpose, to get images of the space I will work on and to show the final design. While capturing images of the existing space it´s very good because I can take photos at 1/8s and still get very sharp results handheld. I use it also for portfolio, this way on a tripod and closed to f5.6 or f8. F11 or f16 would be even better but there will be a severe loss of picture quality with m4/3 cameras. I guess that in some situations it would be nice to have a wider lens but be aware that a ultra wide lens can turn a small room into a huge suite.
  12. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    I'll choose the 7-14 because of the extra wider FL when needed. Though the 12mm will be enough in most situations.
  13. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Y'all convinced me to buy the 12mm! Then, as I was going to buy it last night, I also peaked at my savings account and decided that $800 would be much more wisely spent as part of my future down payment, so....

People really like that Rokinon, huh?