Question: Confused about Panasonic power zoom, etc.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tlovegrove, May 8, 2014.

1. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Southern California
    Tim
    I've been doing all of my video work with manual focus lenses, but I'm looking to pick up a lens for more impromptu events, "run and gun" kind of things where deep depth of field is fine and manual focus is very impractical. (bodies are Panasonic G6 and GX7)

I see the Panasonic "stepping motor" technology in some of the new lenses that is supposed to really improve video autofocus speed with G6, GX7, etc.

But can anyone explain the difference between the Panasonic "Power Zooms" and the lenses without it? Is the only difference the zoom control on the lens barrel? Or is there some other zoom or focus-related reason why these lenses are better for video work?

The bottom line: other than the zoom control lever, is there any other video-related advantage to picking up the 14-42 and 45-175 PZ lenses, instead of the 14-140?
    [or the same question could apply to the 14-42 PZ vs. the 12-32. I'm not comparing the lens quality - just wondering about the added features for video]

Thank you!
    Tim

2. Kwekwe

Kwekwe Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Gravesend Brooklyn NY
    Power zoom is push button zoom the non power zoom you have to manually turn barrel of lens to zoom, you can do power zoom the old fashioned way too of course and turn the lens barrel. Some cameras have rockers like the G5 that will also control the power zoom.

3. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Southern California
    Tim
    That helps - so the rocker on my G6 would also control the power zoom.

Does this relate at all to the touch-screen zoom function? Does that only work on power zoom lenses?

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Touch-screen zoom could only work on the PZ lenses.

The advantage of power zoom, I guess, is that it's easier to get consistent zoom speeds. The disadvantage is that even at the fastest speed you can't rack the lens from one-end of the range to the other almost instantly.

The power zoom can also be controlled remotely, using Panasonic's Android and OIS apps, if that might be useful.

• Like Like x 1