Question about VF-2?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by RobertS, May 26, 2013.

1. RobertS

RobertS Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    I just ordered a VF-2 for use on my E-PL2. Should have it by Wednesday. But was wondering if I should expect any difference in camera image capture speeds when using this device over the use of the LCD? Will shot time, or shot-to-shot speeds be any different? (I currently do not use the instant review option.) Faster, slower when VF-2 is utilized? Anything else I should be aware of? I purchased it primarily for use in bright sun situation when the LCD is tough to see.

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I've the VF-2 mounted on an EPL-1 and notice no difference in capture speeds. Caveat: I no longer shoot fast moving sports, such as indoor basketball. I have read that there is some delay in the VF-2 rendering the object (where it is in the viewfinder is actually where it was a fraction of a second ago). In practice I've not noticed any impact on my photographs.

The only downsides to the VF-2, as far as I am concerned, are the price (I paid $280 for mine) and the size. The EPL-1 is more "pocketable" without the VF-2 mounted. I don't use a camera mounted flash on the EPL-1 so the loss of the use of the hot shoe isn't an issue for me.

However after experiencing the rear screen in full sunlight, and having seen the results of the "stinking diaper hold" when trying to frame the photograph in the rear screen, I much prefer the camera with the VF-2 mounted.

I think you'll be pleased with your acquisition of the VF-2.

3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I still use my E-PL1 with the VF2. Nice combination despite some of the shortcomings being a 1st iteration product for E-PL# line.

I see no difference in the camera's response with/without the VF2. Be careful with the VF2, it can fall off the hotshoe. Mine is tethered to the camera via a lens-keeper strap.
  4. RobertS

RobertS Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Thanks folks. That's all I needed to know.