Question about the PL 45mm.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bilzmale, Apr 14, 2010.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Mine arrived today (as posted elsewhere). The best price ($800 US delivered) was direct from Japan but it arrived with Japanese instructions. Can someone give me a quick lesson on using the focus limit switch?

Thanks.

2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Hi Bill,
    When set to full the focus range is 0.15 m (0.5 feet) to infinity, when set to limit the focus range is 0.5 m (1.64 feet) to infinity.
    Thus the lens will focus quicker when set to limit and this would be the choice for street photography, portraiture and the like.
    My own experience when using it for close up macro is that it can be useful to actually fine tune the auto focusing with a final manual adjustment to ensure accurate focusing. This would probably not apply when used in non macro mode, the auto focus will almost certainly be sufficiently accurate.
    Barrie

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks Barrie - that will be useful. I've been using S-AF+MF.

4. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    VG price for that lens Bill

I mostly use it in Full mode ... the AF is not infallible I have used manual, one trick is to AF on a an easy target to set distance then AF on the actual object so AF has less work.

The PL45 gets confused with locking onto slender objects at times or having to AF lock close after focusing previously at a far distance.
    Depends too on the object type etc.

DPR review did criticize the AF but in practice it gets the job done and is a superb optic.

The OLy AF + MF setting is an advantage at times a great feature on the Pens

Contrast AF from my experience is not as good as Phase detect AF (DSLR)

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I did a fair bit of research - s/h seem non existant. This seller accepted my offer $15 below his list price. Fast shipping and tracking included in the price.

LINK.