Question about the Peak Design Leash strap...

Zeus1

Mu-43 All-Pro
Belgium, small town between Antwerp and Ghent
Need some input from this BB...

Thinking about the Peak Design Leash (the smallest of the three Peak Design straps) as an X-Mas suggestion. In fact, I'm looking for a better strap for my Olympus OMD EM5 II than the factory-provided one (don't like the huge white lettering and black/blue colouring).

So, what do You think of this PD Leash?

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have it.
Used it a lot earlier, but never with the 40-150 2.8 combo.
Even though it can handle the weight of camera and lens it just felt wrong.

Now I don’t use it any more. I only use cuff.

Real Name
Steve
When I shot Canon I used to use the PD Slide, it worked well; since I've gone to m4/3 I only use a cuff, I don't think I'll ever go back to a neck strap of any kind. I use a small Billingham shoulder bag and just drop my cam in between locations, the securing wrist cuff is slipped off after the cam is secure in the bag. But we all work differently.

Peak Design makes for a good gift, it's very well made stuff, although I'm using cheap Chinese knock-offs at the mo and I'm happy with the strength of the straps and quick release system, the operation isn't as smooth as Peak Design kit.

TassieFig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have used it for a couple of years with my EM5 and I love it. Would get another one in an instant if I lost this one. The original Oly is atrocious.

Last edited:

rlb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
I use both the leash and cuff depending in the situation. The leash is sturdy yet not intrusive at all (unlike the Oly strap) and I use that when out and about (walking around). I use the cuff when I'm home or at a relatives house etc. The PD anchors make it easy to swap between the 2.

While I'm getting off track a bit I find the cuff a little awkward on my camera (m10) since I need to thrad it through my fingers in a very specific way to hold the grip.

That said, the PD stuff is well made and I wouldn't hesitate to buy either again.

turbodieselvw

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I used the leash for a few years and now I'm using the slide and slide light. after using the slide (and light) I find the leash a little too narrow but that's just me. Others may find the leash as the perfect strap for them.

Taurahe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
i have the original leash strap for every camera. It is my go to strap suggestion

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I love the small size - doesn’t take up much space in the bag. Attachment system is simple and easy too - I keep those little buttons on all my cameras now.

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
I have the leash strap for all cameras, including a Nikon D7100. I move over to the Slide for the heavy lenses. For me, the selling point of the leash is its slipperiness. I can carry two cameras (normal zoom, telephoto), slung across my chest, x-fashion, and the leash that finds itself on the bottom of the scrum still slides well enough to make raising that camera to eye easy. I've tried grippy straps and they're not for me. As long as each camera has the connectors, you can easily and quickly share one leash among multiple cameras.

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
I haven’t tried the leash, but I use the Slide Lite with my E-M1 when I am out and about with my camera. I love it. Even with my relatively heavy 4/3 50-200 with adapter and tc. I love the connectors that make it easy to remove when I’m just using the camera inside. I love the function and quality. I like the company. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy any of their products. There aren’t many companies I endorse like this.

Last edited:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Need some input from this BB...

Thinking about the Peak Design Leash (the smallest of the three Peak Design straps) as an X-Mas suggestion. In fact, I'm looking for a better strap for my Olympus OMD EM5 II than the factory-provided one (don't like the huge white lettering and black/blue colouring).

So, what do You think of this PD Leash?
I have the PD Slide I (black?), Slide Lite mark II (one black, one silver), Leash mark I (black), and the Cuff mark I (black) with the Ash Leash mark II and Ash Cuff mark II coming on Monday. Which one I use depends on the gear.

One of the things that I find myself doing is removing straps and putting them back on. The anchor system is nice for doing that. If you do use the anchor without the strap attached, you have the little red part dangling down (I've heard some people calling them earrings), but I find in practice it doesn't interfere with shooting (unlike some other camera quick release systems, where the attachment on the camera is big enough that it gets in the way).

The original full size Slide strap did not pack well because it didn't roll up and was too stiff. I also tend to think the strap was too wide, even when I was shooting with the Olympus E-5 and 50-200mm lens. I haven't used it in years. The new Slide mark II now does roll up, and they made some other improvements, but if I wanted a wider strap, the Slide Lite is wide enough for me. If I carried full size DSLR gear with f/2.8 lens, I might go back to the Slide.

The mark II Slide Lite (current version) is better IMHO, when you want to carry micro 4/3rds gear with somewhat heavier lenses. I tend to like it when I'm carrying my G85 or E-m1 with heavier lenses (i.e. Olympus 12-40mm, Panasonic 35-100mm mark II, Panasonic 100-300mm mark II, Olympus 50-200mm with MMF-3 adapter), particularly if I have either camera gripped. It just feels better with the thicker strap on my neck. However, if my shoulder bag is tightly packed, the Slide Lite II might stay home, since while it rolls up, it still takes some amount of room to pack (almost as much as a Panasonic 20mm lens). One side of the strap is smooth and the other is grippy, so you have options on how to wear it.

The Leash (both mark I and II) are thinner, and I tend to like it for my smaller cameras (LX10, FZ300, micro 4/3rds with lighter lens). It can be packed in a rather small case, and I find I usually have it in the shoulder bag because it is so small. The Leash is not grippy at all, which is why I tend to switch with the Domke 1" gripper quick release strap.

The Cuff mark I (and soon, mark II) also almost always find their way in my shoulder bag, and can be easily swapped for one of the other PD straps, when I get tired of a neck strap, and want to use a hand strap. The mark II version redid the way the buckle works to tighten the strap around your wrist, going from a plastic slider to a metal magnetic clasp. When it came out, I thought it might scratch the rear LCD, but in the last Peak Design kickstarter campaign (which just ended), I couldn't resist adding the Ash Cuff to the rewards order (primarily the small camera cube), so we'll see whether it gets used or not. I particularly prefer using the Cuff on smaller cameras (LX10, Stylus1, etc.).

One other thing I occasionally use the cuff for is when I'm using the PD capture clip to hold the camera onto a belt or shoulder strap system is to put the cuff through the belt or strap, so if the capture clip doesn't hold (often due to the 1/4-20" thread not being tightened), I have some protection against the camera falling off down to the ground.

I dislike grip straps, so I've never gotten the Clutch. In fact, I generally dislike grips, but I use them when I'm going to be shooting a long time, particularly video.

The one minor thing I don't like about the PD anchor system for quick release, is it doesn't have a swivel and I find myself having to unwind the strap every so often. Also, the newest anchor straps are problematical to get through the smaller lug holes in the camera. This means on cameras like the E-m1 mark I, you might not be able to remove the little triangle that fits in the strap lug to allow you to attach normal webbed straps. The version III of the strap was thinner, but unfortunately it could fray, and PD replaced all of the mark III anchor links with the mark IV (free of charge). If you are patient, you can probably snake it through, or just keep the strap triangle on the camera.

Note, in terms of the PD design straps, if you are strictly vegan, you want the black straps as the Ash straps have a little bit of leather trim on the straps. I on the other hand, have started disliking boring black straps, and I find myself gravitating towards the Ash straps.

I alternate in terms of straps between the Domke quick release gripper straps with swivel and the PD straps. Like the PD straps, the Domke straps come in two sizes (1" and 1.5"). I tend to like the 1.5" straps for the DSLRs, and the 1" straps for the micro 4/3rds cameras. However, the 1" straps seem to have become harder to find recently. For the Domke strap, I reverse the webbing so that the hook with the swivel attaches to the camera. This is so when I remove the strap, you don't have a long piece of webbing still on the camera.

Last edited:

cdmicha

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I use it all the time with my GX85- it practically lives on there. It's great for smaller body/lens combinations- I wear it over one should off to the side (sort of like a black rapid), and even carrying it around for hours feels like nothing's there.

I own 3 PD products- the Cuff (really great, but I got it before I got the leash and now it doesn't see as much use), the leash, and the slide lite. They are all great quality items, but I use the leash probably 90% of the time.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
Perfect for lightweight kits, but too thin and not enough padding for a larger kit. E-M1 II and 40-150 Pro? Get the regular PD strap. Pen-F and 25mm f1.8? Leash is fantastic.

The best parts for me are that it is A) Removeable, B) folds up to take very little room in your bag, C) Very wide range of length adjustment

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
It depends on the camera and lens. IOW total weight.

I use the wider Slide for my Nikon D7200 (cuz its heavier), and I will sometimes have a 70-200/4 lens on it.
The wider Slide strap is more comfortable for LONG carry of a heavy camera+lens.
And I have gotten to like the wider straps, rather than the narrower straps that I used in the film days.​
I use the Slide Lite on my EM1. I use various lenses on it, so the strap is sized for the heaviest setup and long carry.
I might get a Leash for the EM10. But so far the camera is so small and light that the standard Olympus strap is working.
The EM10 is small and easy to handle/pack, so I don't want to make it bulky with a bulky strap.​

I have and used the Op/Tech Urban Sling. It worked, but was more bulky than the Slide Lite, and I could not get the slides to move freely. I got it for the anti-theft/cut wire in the strap.

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have leash and widest one. Very comfortable and adaptable. Compared to Black Rapid your camera does not hang upside down and is easier to put on but Black Rapid good for big telephotos. To me the leash is too skinny. Works well if you have a small lens. Advantage of strap is that you can wear camera to the side, yet quickly deploy camera. On some cameras the bottom attachment can block battery door, if you attach on bottom. Advantage here is that the strap does not block flip out screen. The thing about the letters is not such an issue to me but the Peak Design strap is of fine material,compared to the factory strap and very comfortable.

DoofClenas

Who needs a Mirror!
Real Name
Clint
I have the leash that I bought for my em1. When I purchased the em1ii I bought the slide lite. After 2 month since of using the slide lite, I switched back to the leash as I like the smaller strap.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
The Peak Design Leash is relatively small at .75 in width and folds up pretty small. The length adjustments work easily enough and requires two hands to shorten or lengthen the strap. The anchors are easily put on the camera or take them off. Many folks don't seem to mind the anchors attached without the strap but to me they are bothersome. The only thing I dislike is that the strap is Not long enough as I wear cross body and I'm 6' 1" TALL. OTH, I've found the leash comfortable even with the E-M1 Mark II and the Panasonic Leica 100-400mm lens for several hours at a time.

The only thing I've found comparative are Blackrapid's Cross Shot or Street Breath straps.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
I have the slide light, but dont use it now. I use one of their wrist straps on all my cameras.
for me the leash would be better than the slide light as it would pack down smaller. I keep my gear in a think tank holster and the slide light does not fit inside it with a large lens.
Also I find the weight of the gear is so light even with the 40-150 pro on that I do not need a strap, wrist loop is only used as a safety.

But I do really like the PD wrist straps and slings, so easy to take them off when you want to either swap or remove.

Latest threads

Top Bottom