Question about the Peak Design Leash strap...

Gillymaru

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I had a problem with my slide lite strap recently, reached out to Peak Designs and they have shipped a replacement to me in Australia. Great customer service and I love the straps.

joerg218

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jörg
I thinking of using the Leash for my cameras (E-M1 and E-M10II), but i'm not sure if the combination of the E-M1 with the 12-100 or 75-300II fits, or the Slide Lite would be better.
On the other hand the Leash would be a good match with E-M10II and small lenses like12-32, 40-150R, 9-18, 17 1.8, 45 1.8 etc.

Can give me anyone some advice about this?

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I thinking of using the Leash for my cameras (E-M1 and E-M10II), but i'm not sure if the combination of the E-M1 with the 12-100 or 75-300II fits, or the Slide Lite would be better.
On the other hand the Leash would be a good match with E-M10II and small lenses like12-32, 40-150R, 9-18, 17 1.8, 45 1.8 etc.

I use both the Leash and the Slide Lite. The Slide lite gets used for the E-M1.2 with 40-150 Pro or the 300 f4; it's fastened to the Capture Plate and the adaptor on the tripod foot of the lens. It's a little wider so more comfortable when supporting heavier equipment.
The Leash gets used for the 7-14, 12-40, 12-100 and primes; it gets fastened to the Capture Plate and the left side camera strap lug. It's narrow and flexible enough that it fits in the 5L Sling.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I used the leash for a few years and now I'm using the slide and slide light. after using the slide (and light) I find the leash a little too narrow but that's just me. Others may find the leash as the perfect strap for them.
Yup... ditto.
I don’t the no the leash is a good fit with the Pro lens... maybe with the kit lens it would be perfect.
I started with the Slide and loved it, but it does not fold well and therefore takes up valuable space in my PD sling (10L). I do take it along with me when I’m travelling so that if I’m out and about with the 40-150 or 300 Pro glass loaded I switch to that. In the interim I’ve picked up the Slide Lite and it works with all my other glass (see soggy below).
The leash is tiny compared to the others but it is not comfortable with the bigger glass.
I use the clutch as well when I have two bodies on the go. As some others have said it is a bit awkward at times but I find that when I’m shooting I simply bring my trigger finger to the outside of the clutch and it’s perfect, then put it back inside the clutch when I’m only toting.

OldRex

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark
I have the slide lite and the cuff. I used to alternate depending on the situation, but I recently bought an everyday sling 5l and a capture clip and now i tend to go from cuff to clip to bag.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would use the Slide Lite for the EM1 + 12-100. That is what I use.
That setup is just heavy enough, that I like the wider strap for weight distribution.

The nice thing about the PD is you can switch between the Slide Lite and Leash easily. Just unclip one and clip on the other.

Real Name
Mike Peters
I only use the leash strap on all of my cameras, six in all. I've used it with the 40-150 without any issue. It's narrow but never gets in your way.

And not getting in my way is what it's all about. I keep one end on the left side camera lug and the other on the PD bottom plate. Nothing gets in the way of my right hand or any of the buttons on the right side.

I'll never use another strap. Now if I could only find the perfect camera bag...

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I only use the leash strap on all of my cameras, six in all.
Same. I have a leash and a cuff (bought as a kit). The cuff mostly get used on my infrared converted E-P2 when it is traveling as my 2nd camera (the "1st" camera is on the leash). Otherwise, I only use the leash on my E-M1.1 (and the E-P2 if I am out with only it). Doesn't matter if I am using one of my small primes, my old 12-60 SWD, old ZD 50-200mm (both of those are BIG lenses), or my recently acquired 12-100 PRO. I find the leash perfect for me and comfortable to wear even if narrower than other straps. I also use the leash fully extended to its full length so when I need a make-shift monopod, I unclip one side of the leash, drop it on the ground, step up on it, and pull up slightly on the camera as a sort of inverse monopod for those scenes just barely a bit beyond the time my holding ability can keep still.

Also keep in mind, you can always pull the strap pad off an old duffle, messenger bag, gym bag, etc. for when you have a heavier setup just slide it over the leash for instant wide padding. Personally I have not found the leash to ever be uncomfortable even when the 4/3rds ZD 50-200 was mounted.

I also like that the leash is very compact. When not on a camera, it literally can be balled up in the palm of your hand, so when on the camera, it takes up practically zero space in your bag when you put the camera in. My only complaint is that when I use it as a monopod, if it was just maybe 4 inches longer it would be perfect for me (I have to hunch over a little or flip out the back LCD screen).

Last edited:

joerg218

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jörg
Thank you all for delivering informations about pros and contras.
I will order the leash (in a bundle with the cuff) and test it.
I think the leash will fit most of my expections.
I also had a look at some YouTube Clips, which shows the leash with a Canon 5d camera and L Lens, so a E-M1 with 12-100 should also be a good combination.

Matt Drown

Mu-43 Veteran
Late to the comments, but I'll add for history.

Slide-Lite + Clutch hand-strap on my EM1.2+12-40+bottom plate. It packs well in the bag, and is comfortable for cross body work. The handstrap has been a "must-have" on any medium sized camera for me, as it reduces hand-strain when I just carry the camera in my hand, by reducing the requirement to constantly hold the grip tight (it's a weird description, but makes sense if you physically hold one, and then think of using it all day while walking around a city).

I've used the bigger slide on full frame canon's, and they are too large for the m43 sized gear in my opinion, even the 40-150 pro. They are also a bit stiffer due to the non-stick side, and don't collapse as well in a bag.

I previously used domke gripper straps a lot. The 1.5" on the larger full frame, and the 1" on the m43 gear (em1). These are great also, but I found that I liked the ability to shift the camera around a bit with the peak designs.

I also have a pen-f that mostly carries small primes on it, i have an unknown brand braided nylon neck strap for it, and wear the camera around the neck instead of cross body. This works fine due to the total (lack of) weight.

I skipped the leash because it was 0.75" wide, and I was comfortable with the 1" wide domke straps on my, so the 1.25" on the slide-lite was nice. I think the leash would work fine on my Pen-F. But I haven't personally tried it out.

I picked up a cuff to try out, but have found that the clutch is must more useful for me. I wouldn't suggest it to people who want for anything but a small camera, mostly because you'll either end up having to carry the camera in your hand in the end anyways, so all it's doing is giving you a safety net not to drop it. The clutch gives me double duty and is less intrusive in my opinion.

Real Name
Ray
Also, the newest anchor straps are problematical to get through the smaller lug holes in the camera. This means on cameras like the E-m1 mark I, you might not be able to remove the little triangle that fits in the strap lug to allow you to attach normal webbed straps. The version III of the strap was thinner, but unfortunately it could fray, and PD replaced all of the mark III anchor links with the mark IV (free of charge). If you are patient, you can probably snake it through, or just keep the strap triangle on the camera.
Just a tip, tie some fishing line to the anchor loop and use that to pull through any camera eye without the triangles. I did this with my Pen-F and EM1-2. This is the newer thicker anchor loops.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom