Question about the fuji x100

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by lubov, Jun 29, 2012.

1. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    I recently notice that when using the lcd of evf that the screen shifts
    just after the green focus box appears. It does this when focusing at distant as well as near objects.
    I'm sure this is a recent thing as I never noticed it to start off with.
    Would be really grateful if anyone could shed some light on the matter?
  2. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

I don't own the X100, but was reading the DP Review of the X-pro recently (out of interest, not planning to buy it..:)), and that one mentioned similar behavior when using the viewfinder. What happens is that once you lock focus the camera knows the distance and then corrects the view of the picture to compensate for parallax error. This should however only happen with the optical viewfinder (with or without the electronic overlay), not on the LCD screen I would think. Still, might be worth to check your settings, on the X-pro at least there is a "corrected AF Frame" setting in the shooting menu, when turned on it will behave as described above. I assume X100 has a similar setting somewhere, you may want to check and see if this is switched on and see what happens when you disable it.

Like I said, just taking a shot at this as I never handled either camera, hope this is helpful anyway!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    Thank you Pim for taking the time to answer. It still does it with that function switched on and off.
    I'm a bit miffed because I,m sure it wasn't doing it before.
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    maybe a better question might be is it showing you what you end up getting in the frame or is it messing up your composition? I'll check mine later today to see what you are talking about.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I suspect you'd have a better response if you were to post this question in the Serious Compacts forum, as I haven't seen a lot of X100 owners around here.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    Well if I frame something and then half press to focus the shif occurs at the moment it focuses, its like a small jump.
    It does capture what is on the screen after focussing has occured.
    It is a very small jump but seems to vary depending onsuccessive focus distances.
    I hope im making sense?
  7. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    Mine with firmware 1.21 doesn't do this on either the LCD or EVF. What it does do however is freeze the image on a half press which means any panning or movement of the camera creates a fairly jerky viewing experience. Its what the OVF is for as that has none of these problems, no blackout or any of the other EVF nasties.
  8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I've been using an X100 for the past week or so and have not seen anything like this in the electronic viewfinder. The *optical* viewfinder does this, which is expected behavior as Pim noted. Just to confirm, you're looking at the electronic viewfinder and not the optical viewfinder with the electronic overlay, right?

I'm not sure what to suggest but as DeeJayK noted SeriousCompacts is probably the better place to post this if you can as I'm sure there's more X100 owners over there. I'm on both forums and joined there mainly to get some more X100 tips.