Question about the E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Phocal, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I am thinking about getting an E-M1 to use with manual focus telephoto lenses. I read somewhere that the E-M1 will not allow focus peaking when you turn on the IBIS with adapted lenses. Is this true? Can you use IBIS and focus peaking with an adapted manual focus lens?

Thanks in advance,

2. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    I can't remember any issues when using a 500 reflex on it - and that includes magnification, peaking and IS.

I'll now get one out to check as your post has me doubting my own memory!
  3. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks for the reply and look forward to your confirmation. I was researching the E-M1 and saw a post on a different forum where the person mentioned something about not able to use both with a Canon FD lens. I really hope you can as I have a ton of old FD lenses and would love to have IBIS and focus peaking for using the telephotos.
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes you can. I do it all the time.
  5. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thank you for your reply. Now I just need to get the money together to pick one up.
  6. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    well I don't have the ideal conditions to test this right now, and I had to remember that I'd programmed it to the Grip's Fn-2 button too!

I don't think you can use peaking if you have IBIS engaged - you can have the peaking engaged, focus, but when you engage IBIS the peaking ceases - disengage and it returns.

Well that's the impression I get!

This isn't an issue for me as I use FP to focus, then when I shoot the IBIS kicks in for the shot; and FP doesn't require a stablised image to provide the necessary I use them both for the shot, but not at the same time,

I will get out in daylight tomorrow to double check my 'impression' - especially as it's now in conflict with Amin!
  7. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Lets see if I understand this correctly.

You can use FP to focus but IBIS is off, I can live with that. Do you have to turn on IBIS to use it for the shot or is automatic i.e. when you half press the shutter or do you have to physically turn it on by a button press?

Sorry about all the questions. Heading to the camera store to check one out but do not think they will have any adapters for me to test this on my own.
  8. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    I attached the OM 50mm f/1.4 lens to my E-M1 using the OM-to-4/3 plus the 4/3-to-m4/3 adapters to test peaking. In the Cog-D menu, Peaking can be assigned to a button and activated without having to sense the focus ring. Peaking works fine with the OM lens.

This image of my laptop screen was taken handheld as I leaned back in my chair, so framing is not perfect. Viewed at 100%, focus at f/1.4 is pixel-sharp. The peaking overlay on the EVF disappears when the shutter button is pressed halfway, making composition easier.

Edit: Handheld at 1/250 second the screen pixels are sharp, so I believe IBIS was active during this exposure.
  9. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    don't be sorry - there's good questions because I hadn't really thought about them in the context of what I was doing!

from my last perception;

1. you can have them both on, ie IS on and default IS active on half press and Focus Peaking allocated to a button.
    2. when you press that button FP works.
    3. when you half press the shutter IS comes on but the FP goes off
    4. when you shoot IS works.

On top of this you have both automated focus magnify - and much better, options for levels of button delivered magnification.

So, IMO, it all works as you would wish in a practical sense - but I still think that when you initiate IS with a half press the peaking ceases...
  10. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    I assigned FP to one of the buttons down by the great. I can quickly toggle it on and off.
  11. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thank you for all the replies and testing to answer my questions. Seems like this is exactly what I am looking for in a camera.