1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Question about Remote Commander

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by sprinke, Jul 26, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Recently I got a secondhand E-PL2. One of the things I was excited to try was the wireless flash capability ("Remote Commander").

The thing is, when I set it up according to the manual instructions, I was instructed to pop up the built-in flash. And when I press the shutter, the pop-up flash fires.

What's going on?

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Go to the SCP flash sub menu, below flash group C is the icon for the cameras built in flash. If you have a TTL flash you are using as the remote flash, and want the camera to be part of the exposure, select TTL. Make sure your remote flash is set to RC mode. If you do not want it to be part of the exposure, select off. Pressing the shutter fires the on board flash to send out the optical signal to the remote flash.

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I don't get it. So it's optical, not truly wireless (radio)?

4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Optical is wireless, just like the Nikon, Canon etc. systems. None are radio control, for that you will need Pocket Wizards or the like.

5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Since there are no wires involved, it is truly wireless. You'll need radio transmitters/receivers if optical firing doesn't suit you (e.g. firing out of LOS, flash inside a softbox, longer distances, etc).

6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Okay, thanks for clarifying. Good thing I've already got radio triggers then, because that's what I need. I thought I could do without them when using an Olympus body.

7. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    FYI the optical trigger contributes almost nothing to the exposure of the scene (nothing at all really, unless you're doing close ups). of course it still has the limitation of needing line of sight, moderate amounts of ambient light, etc.

8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I'm helping my husband do product photography, so we are shooting at quite close distances, so it does make a difference.